Sign in to follow this  
CEI

Is a .243 Winchester an Ethical Elk Gun???

Hey, I know those guys! Nice shooting Barber boys! A .243 is a great all-around gun for kids since they have little kick, and tend to be very accurate. Like others have said, if you are going to use it on elk, shot placement is key - As evidenced by the video, the kid in this case took a clean shot and brought the elk down with a single, well-placed shot.

I don't own a .243, but wouldn't hesitate to use one for kids or adults for javi & deer. With the great recoil pads available these days, you can get a very comfortable .270 WSM, 7mm-08, etc, that might be a more suitable elk gun - but like the old saying goes, "if it aint broke, don't fix it". Use the gun you (or your youth hunter) is confident with, choose your shot well and just enjoy the hunt together.

Guest wdenike

The .243 Has always been picked on by those that feel the need to carry cannons. But it continues to kill critters that it aint supposed to. And todays reloading components will only insure that the cannon totters will have to cry uncle, and admit it is a killin machine. :rolleyes:

Take care, Willie

Thanks for comments.

Coues Sniper, I think you took the statement out of context or maybe I didn't state it correctly.

"My opinion, the kid was extremely comfortable with the gun and made a great shot. I will take a light caliber, with a well placed shot, over a big caliber, with a poor placed shot."

Perhaps the kid shot other larger calibers and was so dang afraid he would have made a poor shot. I just went through the whole process of selecting the right gun for my daughter's deer hunt and she wants no part of a large caliber at 10.

Bottom line, you must practice, know your weapon, game & try to make the most ethical shots possible.

-Craig

My kids have shot 3 cows with the .243 100 gr partition and surprisingly dropped them where they stood !!!

• Like 1

The .243 is a great caliber for kids to get started shooting. My brothers and I all started out with the .243 and killed a bunch of game with it up to the size of oryx and black bears all with one shot kills. We always used hand loaded 100grain Hornady BTSP's and never had a problem with them.

• Like 1