Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector777

Mature buck or freak?

Hey guys I got a couple bucks on my camera the last couple days and I'm trying to figure out if some of them are mature bucks or if my dad and brothers should wait another year or two to try and take them. I know it's tough to tell but any info would be appreciated. I'm looking at this weird 6X2 mostly. His left side is nice with a little kicker while his right side appears to be damaged. I'm thinking he may be a cactus buck because he is the only one still with velvet. The other buck is the 3X4. He actually has 2 eye guards on one side but it's hard to tell in the pictures. Thanks guys!

Cdy00021_zps4caa176a.jpgCdy00023_zps86e8c907.jpgCdy00024_zpsab8ac3e0.jpgCdy00025_zpsd3233ec4.jpgCdy00044_zps1c942b48.jpgCdy00037_zps0a1f3e3a.jpgCdy00038_zps6675451a.jpgCdy00057_zpsae4eaafd.jpg

I think your 6x2 is both mature and a freak. His body and his face tell me that, anyway. Your 3x4 is no slouch. Great buck! even though he might appear to be a little younger. Maybe not. Its always fun to "let the young ones grow another year" but it's an entirely different game on public land chasing wild animals. But it sure is fun trying! Good luck.

both are awesome bucks imo. the 6x2 is unique buck that i would shoot/mount in a heart beat. if those deer are south of the ditch, they are both awesome bucks.

My guess is, the 6x2 isn't that old and isn't a cactus buck. He's might be a freak, or he could have injured his G-2 early on. Hard to say of course. Both are neat bucks.

My guess is, the 6x2 isn't that old and isn't a cactus buck. He's might be a freak, or he could have injured his G-2 early on. Hard to say of course. Both are neat bucks.

I agree with this theory. Only way to find out is to let them walk. I'ts verry intresting to watch a deer grow from year to year. Dificult not to the lob an arrow!

Both would be fair game in my opinion also. Both look to be nice mature bucks, with deep briskets and large bodies. The 3x4 has some decent mass. I also agree with the possibility of the injured 6x2, but without any photos of the backside of the buck, can't tell if he still has a pair or not. An arrow or bullet in the boiler room would sure help to solve the riddle...

My buddy killed a freak buck in velvet during the rifle season a few years ago with no nuts. Maybe that?