Sign in to follow this  
Yuma Archer

12bw fence along state road

Anyone who has the muzzy or late rifle hunt can pm me. I will tell you all I saw. We missed a great buck due to scope problems that I'm just sick about....gfs first deer hunt.

I wasn't happy this happened this year...picked this hunt for the gf because we would see lots of deer and it would keep her entertained...exact opposite

See more muleys in southern az

IMHO it is going to take the deer a couple years to figure out the crossing points. But those points will be heavily hunted by Utah hunters. Think about it, only six pi ints where deer cross...grab you cooler and sit and watch the bucks pass by...

Will be interesting to see what happens.

/>I didnt know about these new crossings. Kinda glad I didnt draw this year.

Wish I had known...my fault. I will definitely be watching this unit closely regarding the crossings. If the Utah hunters get to hunt six areas where the deer cross, you can bet it will reduce the quality of the Az hunt.

i am headed up there this weekend for a scouting trip. My dad has a late tag, i will post what i come across... never been up there before so i dont know how the unit is supposed to be.. hope its better then this post is making it out be, fingers crossed

Hey Toad good luck on your scouting trip. Let me know what you guys find. I really think you guys will do well. I have a good friend that lives in Fredonia.He is always in 12b and said he has been seeing 2 really nice bucks the past couple of weeks.One is a 4x5 about 29 to 30 inches wide and thinks he will go around 195.the other is a 3x4 about 27 inches wide and he thinks it will go around 170 to 175.i think he will be more then willing to help you guys out.

• Like 1

i think that will meet or exceed my dads expectations on this hunt.. any help will be greatly appreciated. planning on doing as much scouting as possible, but turning down info would be a mistake on my part.

• Like 1

I'll be up there for the late hunt. First time for me but know people who have had it over the years, mainly 7-10 years ago though and range from awesome hunt and 190" bucks to hardest hutn ever and nothing over 140". Guess I'll know first hand in a couple weeks!

If you look around on the interent there is some interesting info and reports about the fence. Sounds like the intentions were good but the lack of crossings are a big issue and the deer are getting spooked at the few crossings there are by tourist and hunters. 1 report claimed DWR and BLM monitored 50% of the hunters on the recent Utah hunt were within 1 mile of the fence and had a high success rate. Might have some effects this year but hopefully things will get straightened up soon.

bigbuckkiller- 195"...geez, thanks, I won't sleep tonight :)

• Like 1

scouting trip was a little rough honestly, learned a lot of roads and did locate some deer (nothing over 130). Not knowing what to compare it too normally but deer numbers in the north end of the unit seemed lower then the suggested areas to hunt in the south? wondering if the kiabab herd dumped off already, but it was my understanding there should be less deer in the southern end and thats not what i found this weekend. Maybe the fence actually did screw with the utah herd...

I hate to hear that! My buddy did say the numbers are down. I just got off the phone with him and he said he has lost track of the 4x5. However he did see the big 3x4 this morning. The offer still stands if you guys could use some help. He said it is in a location where most would not think to look.

We may just take him up on his offer, hoping the deer numbers come up some... wishing i wouldnt have relied so much on the migration. Resident bucks are tough to find in this unit. Does he hunt the fredonia side? I will be camped south of the 22 road

Yes he does. When I talked to him he did say small bucks will be around. The big bucks are going to be dug in and few and far between. Wherever he hunts is not to far from his house. He goes out after work. He really thinks the 4x5 will show up again. I will keep you posted. But a 175" 3x4 is a great buck to have as a back up.

Well, im heading on up to set up camp and get my glass on. 11/22 Friday is opening day. Whats the word on the streets about deer movement? Im flying solo for 2 weeks diy... I'll post results in a few weeks!