Sign in to follow this  
sandman

A weekend of Firsts!

This weekend was my first time hunting coues deer. I have always hunted mule deer but decided I would give the whitetails a try. My wife Shelby put in with me. This was not only her first coues deer hunt but her first rifle deer hunt, and she was still trying to tag her first big game animal. Opening morning went pretty slow with only a few does spotted until around 10:00 my friend Colton spotted 2 bucks in the canyon below us. After a failed stalk attempt we relocated one of the bucks bedded across from us. Shelby got set up and after a few misses, she calmed her nerves and took her first buck. Congrats Shelby!

post-5831-0-77243500-1382904698_thumb.jpgpost-5831-0-79473200-1382904755_thumb.jpg

The next day was my turn. Lots of does early in the morning and around 9:00 Colton did it again and spotted a nice buck bedded about 600 yards from us. With the wind blowing hard we decided to get closer and after a quick hike we ended up on the ridge across from the buck at 280 yards. Colton and Shelby sat with me and my Dad was on the ridge behind us as they watched me take my first coues buck. It was an awesome experience and a hunt I will never forget. Thanks to everyone that helped and Congratulations Shelby!

post-5831-0-32270000-1382905083_thumb.jpgpost-5831-0-55810000-1382905130_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Great bucks and story! Congrats!

Great job to the both of you, couple nice bucks there!

Congrats to the both of you on your first and biggest coues! Really cool that your wife hunts with you! Best of times are had doing what you love with the people you love!

I introduced my wife to hunting and did it the wrong way.......my way! Still working on her for future deer hunts and she is coming around!