Sign in to follow this  
donniedent

First coues deer. Unit 21

thx all. I've always been a dyed in the wool muley nut but I loved this hunt. I did draw a coues tag about 8 years ago but didn't actually go on the hunt because I filled my early archery tag... on a muley. I kept running into WT bucks while looking for muleys and actually found some honey holes in the process. My brother in law and best friend talked me into putting in for coues with him this year and Im glad I did.

We started off in the central part on the unit a friend suggested and saw plenty of does and fawns but only one buck. I only had 3 days to hunt so despite seeing lots of pretty country we decided to make a big move to an area I had seen bucks a few years back. Saturday afternoon we headed into the country and again only saw does and fawns. By Sunday morning I was fairly sore so my brother and I decided to split up. He went back up the same ridge and I went to the next one over. Really it was an excuse for me to take it easy and glass from down low. I got to my glassing spot and the first thing I saw was 2 nice bucks and a doe about 800 yds out . Of course I was going make a move but the deer were head up and away from me. When I got up to a good vantage point I couldn't find where they had gone. But I found 2 more bucks feeding together around 400 yds out. Again, being decent looking bucks I made another move. I got to within 250 or so and set up for a shot. Bang... buck stood there and looked around. Bang... buck stood there looking around. Bang... 4 bucks and the one I was shooting at bail into a deep nasty canyon. You could ask me what happened and I could blame the gun or sun in my eyes, fact is I think I just blew it. So.. I moved over to the edge of the canyon and took my time doing it. About a half hour or so. When I got there I slowly stared glassing the bottom. I looked in a shallow cut and there was a buck laying in the shade without a care in the world. He was 150 yds away and 200 feet bellow me (according to google earth). Did I say it was a steep canyon? So I got all set up with a good rest, no mistakes this time. Bang... deer shakes his head, gets up and trot/walks down another 100 yds and 80 feet lower. Bang... deer looks around and runs a ways. Bang... dead deer. I have no idea what my flipping issue was but I was shooting like GARBAGE!!!!! But in the end the job got done and nothing got wounded. After a quick gutless method job and a mile and a half hike back to camp it was me, my deer and a Coors light. I don't think, matter of fact I'm fairly certain these deer don't get hunted because it is ROUGH country and I didn't see another hunter. I'm not sure whether the deer I shot was one that busted off the hill or not. They were all great deer except for the doe. Matter of fact I think there was one bigger in the group. Next year!!