Sign in to follow this  
mklong40

Down to the Wire Buck

Thanks for the words fellas. After looking at the bucks teeth and getting a few opinions, this buck seemed to be an old fella.....He is heavy. His bases were just shy of 5" and he carried the mass up to the 3rd width measurement.

Again, thanks for the congrats and good luck to you all who still have tags to fill.

I'm not bragging and in the future I highly doubt I will take a shot this long again. The shot was 488yds. My equipment is a rem 700 7mm rem mag. I have a leupold 4x12 with custom turrets. I was cranked to 8 MOA for the shot. I was shooting a 175gr partition custom load. I get about 2950fps at the muzzle. Not sure if it was the distance or what but I'm questioning the partition after a double lung shot not killing the buck right away. Maybe it was distance and not bullet. In the future I will try all I can not to take a shot at that distance.

Awesome buck! I have a question, just out of curiousity, why wait until 5 to move in if he was bedded?

Several reasons;

1. The deer were bedded on south east facing slopes in the shade of day already. I spotted doe's and a small buck at about 450 yards and they had me pegged sitting in the bright sun of a west facing slope. I knew that when the sun went behind the mountains it would make it easier for me not to stand out like a sore thumb in the broad daylight.

2. I was hoping the wind settled as the sun settled

3. I was hoping the buck would get up as it got closer to last light.

not sure if any one of these reasons made a hill of beans difference but there ya have it.

• Like 1

Awesome buck! I have a question, just out of curiousity, why wait until 5 to move in if he was bedded?

Several reasons;

1. The deer were bedded on south east facing slopes in the shade of day already. I spotted doe's and a small buck at about 450 yards and they had me pegged sitting in the bright sun of a west facing slope. I knew that when the sun went behind the mountains it would make it easier for me not to stand out like a sore thumb in the broad daylight.

2. I was hoping the wind settled as the sun settled

3. I was hoping the buck would get up as it got closer to last light.

not sure if any one of these reasons made a hill of beans difference but there ya have it.

Those are good reasons! Congrats again!