Sign in to follow this  
Couesdeer

WTB Youth Rifle

I'm looking for a first rifle for my daughter (She wants to start hunting big game and turns 10 this spring). She's very petite and a lefty. Ideally, I'd like to get into a left handed Remington 700 or Savage 10/11 chambered in .243 or 7-08. However I'll consider any left handed bolt actions as the basis for a build for her.

Would also consider a youth sized single shot.

I have cash and several things to trade.

Thanks

post-87-0-28816800-1383634725_thumb.jpg

My dad has a lh ruger m77 in .270. With reduced recoil rounds should be good for her. Let me know I will talk to him. There are pictures of it on here classified add one for the lefty

My daughter is in the same boat. Last spring after she turned 9, we got her a Savage Axis youth in 7mm-08. Those run in the $300-$350 range. Hers came with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope for about $370, I think. Cheaper without the scope package, obviously. We already had a Vortex scope so I threw that scope on a Marlin model 60. I had a muzzle brake put on it for her to dampen the recoil even more. That rifle is scary accurate for no more than we paid for it. She says my AR kicks harder than her 7mm-08 and she loves shooting it! My only gripe is that the trigger is something like 5 lbs. A Timney trigger is in the near future, but even with the factory trigger, I got hand loads to print sub 1-inch! Not sure if they come in lefty, but its worth a look! For that price, its worth the investment!

Are you stuck on a left handed rifle? I have a wheatherby Vangaurd 7mm-08 with an extra adult stock. Was my son's for the last few years, but he decided he wanted to upgrade to a 25-06.

Thanks for the help guys... I'll definitely look into the Savage axis. I do want to stay with a lefty bolt gun as I have several rifles with the bolt on the right side.

According to Savage's website, they have the Axis youth 7mm-08 in a lefty! Good luck and get her out there!!

Before you buy her a lefty, make good and sure she is left eye dominant. My Dad is so left handed it is sickening, but he's right eye dominant. Didn't know it until after he'd bought his rifle ... which is a shame. He shoots a pistol much better because he can use the right eye.

My son wanted to hunt with me a couple years ago. I wasn't sure if he was going to stick with it. So bought him an entry level rifle. Savage Axis 30-O6. Came with a decent bushnell 3x9 scope. He has take. Two coues and two coyotes with it.

My daughter wanted to hunt this year. So I did the same thing. Savage Axis youth model in .243. I figured I couldn't go wrong with these guns. If they decide to stick with it in next couple years we can upgrade to nicer setup.

Hope this helps. Jimmy.

I wouldn't over look a right handed gun I have shot left handed all my life and never shot a left handed rifle the only time its awkward is if the stock has a thumbhole

I recently picked up a .243 for my twelve year old daughter. She loves it and has not griped a bit over the recoil.

Look at Thompson Center encore. It is a left or right handed rifle. Simply swing the hammer right or left. Throw a break on it and she will have no problem with the recoil. You can pick the caliber of your choice. Excellent youth rifle. Imo

Gook luck

That's Rose Canyon lake, this past May.

I appreciate all of the help!

I have a couple of leads now.

Here she is with her brother on my elk hunt last month.

post-87-0-11272100-1384753747_thumb.jpg