Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

News on Leaving trailers

Warning to Arizona hunters and outdoor recreationists camping on the Coconino, Kaibab and Prescott National Forests

Nov. 12, 2013

PHOENIX -- On August 16, 2013, the Coconino National Forest issued a press release entitled “Parking trailers in forests prohibited during hunting season.” The press release is specific to the Coconino, Kaibab, and Prescott National Forests, and is directed exclusively at hunters and recreationists who leave their trailers and/or motor homes unattended on the forest for more than 72 hours. These sportsmen may be subject to enforcement action, including citations or impoundment of vehicles, trailers and/or motor homes. The release specifically states,

If trailers are left unattended for more than 72 hours, the Forest Service considers them abandoned property and may remove them from the forest. Violators can also be cited for this action.

This is an unprecedented application of Forest Service regulations that relies on Arizona statutes for establishing a presumption of abandonment for a vehicle left unattended for more than 72 hours. The Arizona Game and Fish Commission and Department are opposed to this unprecedented application of state and federal law to hunters who have absolutely no intent of abandoning their property. A stay limit of 14 days has been in effect on national forest lands for decades and is well understood and accepted by sportsmen and recreationists.

The Arizona Game and Fish Commission and Department, along with the Coconino and Yavapai County Sheriff's Offices, are committed to protecting Arizona’s citizens and recreational visitors on national forest system lands.

The Department has met repeatedly with staff from the affected national forests to repeal this enforcement approach, with no success. Specifically, Director Larry Voyles, in a letter dated September 12, 2013, requested the following from Coconino National Forest Supervisor Earl Stewart: 1) that all national forests in Arizona establish a uniform approach to address length of visitation, and 2) that national forests in Arizona return to an enforcement approach that allows visitors or their property, including trailers, to remain on the forest for 14 days, whether or not the property is continuously attended.

"The Commission feels strongly that public lands belong to the public, who clearly enjoy using those lands," said Chairman J.W. Harris. "A 72-hour rule imposes unacceptable and artificial restrictions on sportsmen and recreational users of the Coconino, Kaibab and Prescott National Forests."

On Nov. 2, Chairman Harris moved and the Commission voted unanimously to have Director Voyles and the Department coordinate with Coconino County Sheriff Bill Pribil and Yavapai County Sheriff Scott Mascher to develop a notification placard that visitors to Arizona's national forests can affix to their property. The purpose of the placard is to provide notice that the owner or occupant of any property left temporarily unattended on the national forest has not abandoned the property. The placard lists the dates the property will be on the forest, states that the owner has not abandoned the property during any period of absence during those dates, and establishes that the length of stay on the forest will not exceed 14 days. Providing such notice may deter Forest Service personnel from impounding the property and/or pursuing enforcement actions. The placard includes this disclaimer: The Arizona Game and Fish Department provides this placard as a courtesy to sportsmen with no guarantee, representation or warranty that the notice placed on property will prevent impoundment, an enforcement action or be a defense to such actions. Any person using the placard understands and agrees to assume any risk that the notice will not prevent property seizure/impoundment or an enforcement action.

Hunters and other outdoor recreationists may click on the link below to download and print the placard.

The Commission also directed the Department to communicate issues involving the 72-hour rule to the U.S. Department of Agriculture and other relevant agencies, and to begin discussing appropriate legislation with lawmakers at state and national levels.

Specific questions can be directed to the following forest officials:

• Brady Smith, Coconino Forest Public Affairs Officer, (928) 527-3490
  • Dean Jones, Coconino Forest Deputy Public Affairs Officer, (928) 527-3643
  • Brienne Magee, Flagstaff Ranger District Public Affairs Officer, (928) 527-8290
  • Jacque Banks, Kaibab Forest Public Affairs Officer (928) 635-8200
  • Debbie Maneely, Prescott Forest Public Affairs Officer (928) 443-8000

Hunters who experience unreasonable property seizures while recreating on national forests are encouraged to call the Arizona Game and Fish Department’s Operation Game Thief hotline 1-800-352-0700 or the appropriate county Sheriff's Office.

• Coconino County Sheriff's Office

Phone: (928) 774-4523 or (800) 338-7888

• Yavapai County Sheriff's Office

Phone:

(928) 771-3260

Visit the AZGFD website at www.azgfd.gov/forestservicecamping72hourrule for additional links to:

• Like 1

I stay away from that area as much as possible, because of the way the public is treated. Earl Stewart should have a price put on his head. As far as I am concerned he has appointed himself dictator supreme. I put up a ground blind several years ago in the Coconino forest, went back to camp for lunch and the next morning there was a red tag on it stating, if I didn't remove it that day it would be considered abandoned, and be confiscated. I haven't hunted there since. The whole country will be this way unless we revolt. This is not a democrat or republican thing. This has been going on for years. Unchecked power. Everyone needs to write the white house and their senators, and their congressmen. This is getting worse year after year. This is our National Forest, and we need to take it back.

Guest wdenike
a backdoor way to get guns, eliminate hunting and there is no reason for us to own them - same deal as wolves

Glad others are paying attention. Don't think if the wolves eliminate wild life that they don't think they can get your guns easier. Shame all the small towns that count on hunters for an economic boost are hurting because of the wolves already. Why??? Because no one goes to hunt where deer and elk use to be. Same with the ammunition shenanigans, all the small town gun shops, and mom and pop stores that handle ammunition have none to sell. Think the lack of revenue is hurting these people? The whole thing is really shameful, and what is more shameful is we as AMERICANS accept it!!

Take care, Willie

• Like 1

That's too bad about your ground blind situation hawkeye.

I may be wrong here but the way I read all of this is the national forest officials are trying to eleminate campers and hunters from leaving thier trailers and camps in the woods unattended for multpile days. I know alot of people who leave thier trailers in thier favoriate spot when they leave for the week go to home back to the valley to go to work, then come back the following weekend to hunt or get out of the heat. IMHO I don't think it's right to lay claim on a campsite during the week when you aren't there. If you have to go home for a day or two that's one thing but to leave your rig unattended for 5 days I think is being a little selfish with everyone's land. Everyone should have a fair chance to find a decent camp site. There are plenty of places to store trailers close to Flag, Payson, Prescott, and Showlow when you leave for multiple days.

• Like 5

I agree with sawbuck, one thing that worries me is I am planning a pack trip up north and will be leaving my trailer at a trailhead for 4 days ? Don't think its in trouble but you never know. I will be calling, email already in but no word back yet.

We did our big 7 day trip this year and would be the same deal?? I would come unglued if my rig was gone and me and mules were stuck.

Mulepackhunter, I feel your concern. Typically when we leave a rig its at a trail head or at a pullout close to a trail head. I would think they would look at horse trailers with track leaving in one direction a little different.

Guest wdenike
Mulepackhunter, I feel your concern. Typically when we leave a rig its at a trail head or at a pullout close to a trail head. I would think they would look at horse trailers with track leaving in one direction a little different.

AZ,

You have given them the complement, that they are capable to track!! I am fearful the whole circus is being infiltrated by tree hugin green people. That are more worried about the horse and mule poop than you all being stranded with your stock.

Take care, Willie

• Like 1

It is a bunch of BS substantiated by whiners who feel entitled about having a campsites. Rule was and has been, two weeks then move and people have camped based on that to have a base camp to go into the back countryor just enjoy themselves. It has never been and is not now a big deal, there are plenty of places to cam. The Crybaby hunters pissin and moanin because someone else is in a spot before them need to STFU or find something else to do.

• Like 2

A powerplay by the Liberal controlled NFS. They simply don't want us "IN OUR FOREST" that the taxpayers contribute to.

What if you are in the backcountry, doing a spike camp for a few days, and come back to find your trailer gone?

Simply B.S

It is a bunch of BS substantiated by whiners who feel entitled about having a campsites. Rule was and has been, two weeks then move and people have camped based on that to have a base camp to go into the back countryor just enjoy themselves. It has never been and is not now a big deal, there are plenty of places to cam. The Crybaby hunters pissin and moanin because someone else is in a spot before them need to STFU or find something else to do.

Not so much that PRDTR... It's not really even about getting to a spot first for many of us. We all know there is a ton of public land to set up on. It's just that your big stupid redneck trailer and all your quads and trash sitting in the woods for several weeks on end off the main roads is super annoying. In some units it is literally one large abandoned camp after another for miles and miles on forest roads for several weeks before season and on into and after the hunts. If it is so easy to find a camp site as you say.... then why do you have to set up a month in advance?

• Like 4

Not so much that PRDTR... It's not really even about getting to a spot first for many of us. We all know there is a ton of public land to set up on. It's just that your big stupid redneck trailer and all your quads and trash sitting in the woods for several weeks on end off the main roads is super annoying. In some units it is literally one large abandoned camp after another for miles and miles on forest roads for several weeks before season and on into and after the hunts. If it is so easy to find a camp site as you say.... then why do you have to set up a month in advance?

Well said Critter! I not going to STFU! I will be the one calling the forest service and demanding that they enforce this rule when I see other hunters breaking the rule?..

Guest wdenike

Wow this is completely assnine. This type of whining goes hand and hand with all those private honey holes, tanks that people claim to own, and all those spots that no one has ever laid foot on. ( According to the morons that convince themselves it to be true) This is just what government agencies need a bunch of whiney azzes making it easier to put more restrictions on us. When we are afforded the amount land we are, and we can't find a spot to camp, pitch a tent or hunt. Maybe we should take our sorry azzes, and go some where and buy 500 acres. High fence it, post the chit out of it and hunt by our selves!! Or get yourselves where you need to be to camp and go hunt. I'd be willing to bet there is enough room out there. :rolleyes:

Take care, Willie