[so on Friday afternoon went out to 23 with 3 of my other buddies, 2 of which have never killed Coues. Glassed Friday and did not see anything with horns and found some new posted NO trespassing land on places we had hunted before :angry: , Woke up Saturday and hunted until noon and all I we saw were some doe and ALOT of atv hunters. (Why in the world, when you are riding 2 people on an ATV-- one rider and one shooter, in a caravan of 3 atv's, would you wear Camo? :blink: They need to make camo patterns that match all major brands of 4 wheelers-- ok off of the soap box) had to come in for meetings on Saturday and Church on Sunday, went out again late Sunday. Woke up bright and early Monday morning and went with one of my buddies to glass a large bowl. We were up there before light and glassed right away, my buddy Justin was above me about 50 yards, well of course mother nature called and after I was finished I was getting ready to move up to him when he says through the GPS RINO-- there are some deer looking right at you on the hillside, so there I sit for the next 10 minutes. I look up at him and he is looking through his scope and then BOOM, BOOM, BOOM. I radioed him and he did not answer but was standing up so I thought BUCK DOWN!, Then He radios me "Get up here and help me!"" So me being the fat bald guy I am run up the hill as fast as possible(about 1 mph) and am heaving and looking for O2!! He tells me shoot that thing and I told him I would range it for him but I was heaving to hard to shoot, took me 1 minute just to steady myself-- 477yards. By then I could lay down, and he says shoot it, told him no he needed to but that I would back him up. So we got good rests and the deer just stood there broadside, he fires, misses , I fire and dont. buck down keeping the 257 weatherby streak alive, 2 shots 2 kills.

post-430-1162954235.jpg

Justin dropped his rifle helping me so used mine this morning and I hear him on the radio, man there are some deer at the tank above us, one has antlers!! He could not range him but I knew it was about 600 yards to the tank and told him to stalk up 200 yards and let her rip, he did and said I think I got a little 3 point!! But there are 2 other bucks up there standing next to him , so I ran up with Pat another buddy of mine and we managed to spook them he got off a shot(actually 8) at a 2x 3 that was about 75.

Justin meanwhile locates his downed buck and says, yep a little 3 point--

post-430-1162955105.jpg

He lifted it up and I was like man you killed a huge one-- thought it would go about 91-92 and it was his first coues!!

post-430-1162955440.jpg

We had an awesome hunt and 2/4 killed, 3/4 shot at a buck, the other hunter passed up some bucks. But man it was great being with him on his first kill! AG

Congrats to your hunting party, it sounds like your group did very well.

Yeah, we had a great time out there, I had my little girl with me on sat, but all we saw were atv's and some doe. She had fun, wish she would have been there on a kill.

Both of those deer were shot with my 257 weatherby and leupold B and C reticle, man that makes things easy when you know the range! The first one at 477 yards went 2 steps and down with lung shot and the bigger one at 400 was rolled with a heart shot, that thing was vaporized. used 100 grain ballistic tips and man did they perform. both deer were complete pass throughs, the big one was through both shoulders. I was thinking of going back to Sierra SP BT's, but am now reconsidering the switch. AG

Doc,

Sounds like you had a good hunt with good results. Congrats. Once you got to your spot and off the roads, did you encounter many other hunters?

Doug~RR

Congrats on a very successfull looking trip. Beautiful bucks.

We did not really see anyone else once we were way out on the points, but the roadhunters would drive way out on the points and turn around. When we were glassing up doe they would bail into thick stuff when they heard the putt putts(ATVs) coming up the roads. We saw about 15 does all told and 4 bucks. AG

Guest AZ>NMcouesaddict

Congrats to you and your buddies, fatfootdoc. I'll be headed out for some scouting on Friday and hopefully find something for Saturday. Your posts sounds exactly like what the Game Warden told me last weekend. He said the ATV squad was out in full force and the coues hunters he had talked to were getting a bit hosed because of the activity. Looks like you all were able to deal with it quite nicely. Good looking bucks.

Thats awesome! I got schooled in unit 22 on Monday and yesterday. I saw over 40 carp does, 4 whitetail does and nary a buck, legal or illegal. I wish I would have had more than two days and worked in a few scouting trips this summer, stupid elk tags eat up alot of vacation :lol:. Congrats again, that looks like it was a fun hunt!

Bret M.

I am trying to post some more pics but must have messed with my camera settings as they are kind of LARGE!!

post-430-1163051844.jpg

post-430-1163051915.jpg

This deer had the larges tines of any coues I have ever taken and they were needle sharp at the points. AG

I am trying to post pics of Justin's buck as well. ag

post-430-1163052431.jpg good wide rack(for a little 3 point :lol: His exact words upon finding his deer :lol: )

post-430-1163052491.jpg

post-430-1163052619.jpg the results of a great hunt!! :lol: