Sign in to follow this  
kazpilot25

Radios

I'm curious what radios everyone uses while hunting to communicate with others in your party? I have the Motorolla Pro Pack, which really suck. You would think for $150 they'd be half way decent, but they're not. These are FRS radios.

Does anyone use VHF radios or MURS radios? I've heard those should be better for outdoors from 3-5 miles.

I'm curious what radios everyone uses while hunting to communicate with others in your party? I have the Motorolla Pro Pack, which really suck. You would think for $150 they'd be half way decent, but they're not. These are FRS radios.

Does anyone use VHF radios or MURS radios? I've heard those should be better for outdoors from 3-5 miles.

That is funny. I am in the market for new ones. I have a pair of cheap Cobra radios that suck too. I have a $50 amazon gift card so I'm looking what I can get online. If not, these at Costco look ok and I can always return if I don't like.

http://www.costco.com/Motorola-MT351R-2-pack-Talkabout-Weatherproof-Two-way-Radios-Bundle.product.100057570.html

Check out Bass pro they have a nice set for their sale starting the 25th.

That is funny. I am in the market for new ones. I have a pair of cheap Cobra radios that suck too. I have a $50 amazon gift card so I'm looking what I can get online. If not, these at Costco look ok and I can always return if I don't like.

http://www.costco.com/Motorola-MT351R-2-pack-Talkabout-Weatherproof-Two-way-Radios-Bundle.product.100057570.html

These are the ones I currently have. They're terrible.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Motorola-Radio-Pro-Pack/1612369.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmotorolla%2Bradios%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=motorolla+radios&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I've been doing a ton of research on radios and it seems that a MURS handheld might be the way to go. They're basically comparable to true GMRS, which requires a license, but much better in outdoors settings through trees and over hills.

Anybody else using MURS?

All of these radios are about a one mile range. And if you are line of sight. They wont go thru the trees or over a hill. The FCC regulates the power of civilian radios.

Have you ever noticed that near the border the mexican radio stations are so much better, No FCC.

All of the easily available radio's stink. I have a 70 dollar pair I bought at Home Depot for 70.00 that work as good as my previous $200.00 pair. I would be curious to hear what radio profesionals think are the best.

I've had good luck with my Garmin Rino 530s, much better than any of the cobra/motoshit that I've wasted money on over the years.

I'm going to try the Baofeng UV-5R Plus. I just ordered 2 and a pair of upgraded antennas. I'll post up a review when I get a chance to test them out.

• Like 1

I believe you have to be a licensed HAM radio operator to use the Baofeng radios.

• Like 1

/>I believe you have to be a licensed HAM radio operator to use the Baofeng radios.

You need to be licensed to transmit on the 2m HAM frequencies, but you can listen in and transmit on the MURS and FRS frequencies without license. FCC only regulates transmission on the HAM side, anyone can listen in.

I haven't been impressed with the radio on the Rhinos. Neat feature but really-really bad radio performance.

I've had good luck with these.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MT352TPR-FRS-Weatherproof-Two-Way/dp/B007UKVO3U/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&srs=2529943011&ie=UTF8&qid=1385250631&sr=1-4&keywords=motorola+two+way+radio

Don't let the 35 mile claim fool you, I don't know how they can justify these bogus range claims, but it's at least consistent across all brands. For the price, I think these are a very solid radio with better range than I've seen from any of the others I've used. Takes some time to turn off all the unwanted beeps and noises, but these can actually communicate several miles away depending on terrain. I've been over a mile away from my boys with a pretty good mountain between us and still had good, clear communication.

/>

I believe you have to be a licensed HAM radio operator to use the Baofeng radios.

You need to be licensed to transmit on the 2m HAM frequencies, but you can listen in and transmit on the MURS and FRS frequencies without license. FCC only regulates transmission on the HAM side, anyone can listen in.
True, but these radios are FCC Certified for use under Part 90, which requires a license. The radios are NOT certified for use under FCC Part 95 which is required for use on GMRS and FRS frequencies, so it is not legal to use them for GMRS or FRS. The output power of these radios is also more than allowed for GMRS and FRS.

If all you need is MURS and FRS, then buy the many basic radios out there without possibly violating FCC rules with the Baofeng.

http://wb7tjd.org/wiki/FRS,_GMRS_and_MURS_(Radio_Services_under_FCC_Part_95_Rules)#BaoFeng_UV5R_is_Part_90_Type_Certified

I've had good luck with all midland radios

• Like 2

/>

True, but these radios are FCC Certified for use under Part 90, which requires a license. The radios are NOT certified for use under FCC Part 95 which is required for use on GMRS and FRS frequencies, so it is not legal to use them for GMRS or FRS. The output power of these radios is also more than allowed for GMRS and FRS.

If all you need is MURS and FRS, then buy the many basic radios out there without possibly violating FCC rules with the Baofeng.

http://wb7tjd.org/wiki/FRS,_GMRS_and_MURS_(Radio_Services_under_FCC_Part_95_Rules)#BaoFeng_UV5R_is_Part_90_Type_Certified

You're correct. Thanks.

I bought some OLD motorola police radios with mics. I paid 100.00 for 2 radios 2 mics and 2 chargers. I can go to the top of the pinals and radio my dad at his house in Globe (about 7 miles). I never hear anyone else on the radio because they are the old CRYSTAL type ones. I had our local radio store look at them and they said I got a smokin deal. They are NOT light but I don't care.