Griz, Ringers get that white patch too- yep... and they pretty much fly together a lot of times so that's a tough ID on the wing for sure.

Coues Kid that duck would have been pretty hard to nail down 100% correct anyway. We've been at it for a whole day and still nobody is 100% sure. I agree that if you go waterfowl hunting you need to be extra careful with bird ID and bag limits for specific species. It takes a lot more work and experience than Duck Dynasty shows on TV... Shoot drakes- you don't have to worry!

/>Coues Kid that duck would have been pretty hard to nail down 100% correct anyway. We've been at it for a whole day and still nobody is 100% sure. I agree that if you go waterfowl hunting you need to be extra careful with bird ID and bag limits for specific species. It takes a lot more work and experience than Duck Dynasty shows on TV... Shoot drakes- you don't have to worry!

Lol I know him so I was just giving him crap but I have never duck hunted always wanted to never had the opportunity I just know you gotta know your ducks and sometimes situations happen like this one.just hope it doesn't bite you in the long run

• Like 1

By chance we happened to shoot both species in question this morning hunting. Thought I'd snap a few pics to better show what I was saying..

Ringer hens showing no black bar under secondaries and white cheeks

image_zps14984d1f.jpg

Similar bill coloring as OP

image_zpscb65e880.jpg

Another angle

image_zpsb9d49240.jpg

Scaup bill/head

image_zps37a58c70.jpg

Showing the black bar under both of their secondaries

image_zpsd390beaf.jpg

• Like 1

It sure does!!! Thanks AH, I think I'm sliding over to the Ringer Hen side of this gradually...