If you use a 30. cal rifle.......you would have less pig meat to worry about eating :lol: One shot through the shoulders.....a second shot through the back half and you pretty much just processed the whole pig right there on the spot! Just bring a little zip-lock baggie to haul out the rest of the meat :lol:

I've used the .223 Contender on a pig and my wife used a 22-.250 on one and they work perfectly, no need for anything bigger, if you do.....shoot em' in the middle broadside to take care of the guttin'. :D JIM>

223 is awesome for pigs. I have shot them before with a 30. One with a 30-30 and the other with an 7.62x39 and the damage wasn't bad. You don't want to ruin any of that meat. Take along ear plugs to shove up your nose while your gutting. :lol:

I wouldn't go out and buy a new rifle just to go pig hunting. Just use your deer rifle. I've only killed them with arrows, but I've been with guys that have shot them with a .223 and a .30-06 and both bullets just went right through without destroying much meat.

If you have a handgun that's fun too. Stalking like archery with the bang of a gun!

First big game animal I ever harvested was a javalina with a .308. Shot went in the shoulder, and out under the eye. Very little meat loss. I was 11 or 12 at the time and probably shooting handloaded 130 gr bullets too.

Ron

First big game animal I ever harvested was a javalina with a .308. Shot went in the shoulder, and out under the eye. Very little meat loss. I was 11 or 12 at the time and probably shooting handloaded 130 gr bullets too.

Ron

As always .41 mag

Javelina were custom designed for archery hunting!

I used a .243 on my first javelina and after the 1st was out of the way, I decided no more gun! Now I use a 100 grain G5 montec broadhead, on the front of a 29 inch carbon express 300 arrow :D !

I personally think 30 cal is overkill, but if its the best or only rifle I owned, then I'd use it and not worry about it.

I've killed 3 pigs using a 30.06, and there wasn't much meat damage from the impact. I used a 165 grain Corelokt bullet.

KP