Sign in to follow this  
NWhunter

Is it legal?

If there was no hide on the skull whatsoever, you are probably good to go, but I would call Game and Fish to be certain. If there is any flesh remaining, they may want to come out and investigate. If they determine that the animal died of natural causes, they will let you have it. If anything is suspect, they will probably keep it.

If there was no hide on the skull whatsoever, you are probably good to go, but I would call Game and Fish to be certain. If there is any flesh remaining, they may want to come out and investigate. If they determine that the animal died of natural causes, they will let you have it. If anything is suspect, they will probably keep it.

Don't think Game and Fish would bat an eyelash over a javelina skull, as they are a dime a dozen. Was involved with a lion-killed bighorn sheep that we reported nearly 20 years ago. Game and Fish came to our home and took the skull pending an investigation, and then "it" disappeared off their log-books and there was not even a record of us contacting them nor any account of their officer coming out to take possession of the skull. The entire account was like an episode of "Without a Trace" as our skull and all information associated with it simply vanished.

I have since forgiven the Fish and Game and have had great experiences checking in bears with them, but have not forgotten the sheep-gate fiasco they put me through. Thus, I agree with Heat, that you are safe if the skull has no flesh or hide attached to it. However, I would not lose any sleep over picking up a javelina skull with a little hair attached to it.

• Like 1

Had a similar experience with a sheep head we found in eagle creek 10 or so years ago. They took it and when we called and asked about it they had no idea what we were talking about. I'm guessing the officer has a nice dead head on his wall now. Oh well.

• Like 1

it is to my understanding that no part of animal was legal except of a natural shed? but yes, javelina remains are a dime a dozen, I dont know if they would really fuss about it

I was under the impression that if there is evidence of an animal killed during hunting season it is not legal to pick it up. If no evidence is found, fair game. I sure hope so, because I just picked up a nice Coues skull in December that was buried under a tree and had the nose section crushed off. I would assume lion kill.

i actually just had this conersation a few days ago with a very good game warden buddy of mine when i glassed a lion and called him so he could come shoot it as i didnt have a rifle or a tag. he said if there is any flesh or hide you are supposed to report it, if they determine it was of natural causes it is yours to keep. if there is any question in the investigation about whether it was shot or died of natural causes and they cant for sure determine it was natural causes then it belongs to the state... the game wardens dont get to keep it, but obviously there are game wardens who arent trustworthy, but for the couple that i know they would not pull such a stunt... but as sated before i dont think they would bat an eyelash at a javelina skull

I have had two occurances.

Once on a turkey hunt, we came across an elk carcass. It had been scattered by coyotes and the tines had been sampled as well. We propped it up at camp. Before the end of the weekend, we got to meet the local warden. lol.

He asked if anything was uspicious or if we knew anything about it, asked where we found it. He wasnt interested in hiking to where we came across it. ha ha. Took my name and info down and said i was welcome to take it, since it didnt appear to be poached. (the guys at camp convinced me to leave it behind, though... wasnt that impressive with the gnarled tines).

the second story i know involves a friend who came across an intact skeleton (seen the picture). Was met by game and fish at his door when he got home three days later. lol. Same story, no signs of poaching, was able to explain where and how he found out.

Key to any game and fish warden (or any law enforcement) is to be as cooperative as possible. ha ha ha

I have found a number of "dead heads" in the field.

Key is that there is no hair/meat and that it not a wounding loss.

One year during the Antelope Eaters predator hunt, I found a dead head elk way up north. Entire skeleton was there.

I took video and GPS coordinates and brought back to check in, in the back of my truck.

Officer Pender (now retired) came over and told me he had to take the head pending an investigation into the cause of death. I gave him the GPS location and a month or so later he called and said to come and pick up the head.

No problems, no fuss.

Had the same issue in 23N on a dead head elk a number of years ago.

Called G&F got the WM, he came out with a medal detector checked it out and it was mine.

Never had a problem.

Many years ago we were guiding a deer hunt in Unit 13A when we found two bucks that had locked antlers and died. One buck (the smaller) had a broken neck, the other dragged him to a pond and slipped and fell in and drowned. Both were still hooked up.

We called G&F and Luke Thompson came out to investigate.

Determined it was a "Natural Event" and the lady hunter got BOTH deer!

Don't be afraid to call the Dept. on these kinds of issues.

Don Martin

Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

P.S. Oh, I once found a big 5 X 5 elk in Unit 6A on a late rifle hunt that obviously had been dead for a while. It still had an arrow in the ribs. Called G&F in Region 2, they came out took the head but let me keep the arrow. Lost it cause it was in fact a wounding loss...I fully understood but didn't want to see such a neat rack go to waste.