More D

My Bull Elk hunt

This year was a good year for some of us in the family for tags and not so good for the rest. My uncle and myself drew Bull Elk muzzy tags. No one else in the family drew any thing else.....not even deer.

In preperation for this tag my wife and I decided to go forward with a dream we have had now for years:

IMGP0090.jpg

A new TT.

Also I used this tag as an excuse to buy a new muzzel loader, a Winchester Apex in .50cal and a Bushnell 3200. After about 10 range sessions I finally got some great groups:

Bullmuzzel11-20-06002.jpg

Three inch group at 200 yards!! I know the rifle is doing it's job, now it's up to me!

The first day was pretty cool my favorite hunting partner, my wife, and my cousin helped and we got into a nice sized herd very early. Wind in our face, elk heading our way, plenty of time to set up.....perfect.............except for an older gentalman who took a off hand 200 yard shot at the 'elk herd' not A cow with no scope. Needless to say they were gone and the ones who ran in front of me had two NICE bulls but no shot. <_<

Sat was fun too! My cousin and I were off early to try and get in front of a herd and with some help of some good friends I found myself in front of a group of at least 50 elk. Again plenty of time , wind in the face, etc.............................................................................

............................................................I took a shot at a nice 5x2 because he was broken at 25 whole yards and I..........................missed :unsure: . All I could say was " I have been practicing out to 200 yards, I don't know what to do at 25. I was so embarASSed. In the late afternoon I had 3 nice young spikes at 50 yards but it was only Sat. For the first time in my life I acually passed on a animal. It felt strange.

Sunday all the helpers had to leave and only my brother could stay to help. We were out before sun up to sun down just like every day and we did not see one Elk.

Monday my brother and I headed out to a Quiet Area knowing full well what we had in store for us if we got an elk down. We walked 5 1/2 miles and on the way out this young guy crossed our path:

Bullmuzzel11-20-06010.jpg

Bullmuzzel11-20-06013.jpg

Bullmuzzel11-20-06006.jpg

He is exactlly what I wanted and asked the Lord above for. Luckly he was only 1.68 miles from the truck.

What an adventure. I was glad my brother was there to experience this with me, saddly my wife couldn't. She was watching our 3 year old back at camp.

Thank God above for having me under his arm for a long time now.

Thanks to my wife who lucky for me enjoys the outdoors and camping as much as I do.

Thanks to my brother for being there for me and the his help with the packing duties.

Thanks to every one back at camp for all they did to help me get my first bull elk.

Thanks to all of you for making me a better hunter and a better person.

P.S. I am smileing but my lips were so chapped that they were bleeding. That still only explanes half of the dumb look on my face.

:ph34r:

Congrats thanks for the pics and the story. God Bless

Great story and pics, and a fine elk! Good job on the photo posting also.

Uh Oh, now that you've started passing on animals, there's no stopping you know. You're going to be killing some big critters and having a lot of fun doing it.

Congratulations.

Guest Ernesto C

Hey More D, you the man!! congratulations on a succesfull hunt,good job. Hey and that's also an awesome travel trailer.God bless you more bro.

Ernesto C

Congratulations MoreD!!!!

Awesome story and bull. That is a awesome rig you have. May God continue to bless you and your family.

Travis Roberts

Tucson Az

Great story and congratulations, glad you could experience with your family.

Redman

Thanks to all for your kind words!

You are right Chef, I have been on this forum daily for 3 1/2 years with out ever posting a picture. It's because I never could figure out how to posting pics. Now you all get to see my ugly mug......O joy. :lol:

Ultramag, we like to Armada alot. It is fast for being a big station wagon. I beat lowered extended cab chevys and fords all day long. We haven't had very many problems since we go it new in May '05. It tows our TT very well but you almost have to own a gas station when you tow.

You guys and gals might like to see this:

Any guesses on what is on his inside left leg? It is the size of a flattend softball.

Bullmuzzel11-20-06005.jpg

Guest Ernesto C

Quote" what is inside of his left leg? it is the size of a flattend softball." :lol: Man good thing you posted the picture next to the question :lol: ..........................cough! :ph34r: Ok lets get serious here............my guess is a damage muscle tissue from al old injury or build up fat.

Yes keep posting pics :P hey did you foud out what was it after you field dressed?

Congrats to you MoreD. Nice elk and nice to hear where the credit is really due.

That was my guess too Ernesto. When my brother and I started to skin him we found that he had been shot. Lots of bullet fragments. It is hard to tell from that picture but once you have the skin off you can see that the leg was broken and it even had a different angle compared to the top. That mass is actually bone like tissue. Oddly enough he had a bullet wound in the front leg as well. The bullet stopped in the meat never hitting bone. this young guy was pretty torn up but he did not seem to walk with any sort of limp at all. Tuff Elk.

I had planned to take more pics of the skinned leg and then the leg boiled. The leg bone was trown out on accident before I could.