Sign in to follow this  
BackwoodsHunter

Backpacking hunt

Man, that sounds fun! That mulie buck is a STUD! That sucks about your buddy. That crap is going around. Hope he feels better soon. Just over a week left of the season!

Backwoodshunter - what was your pack weight, water and all? Did I miss it in your post?

Great video. That definitely looked like fun. The bucks were awesome

Wow, we need to tune your pack a little??? I can run 3 days backcountry at 35 lbs including spot scope tripod and pistol, a good book and all the needed items for safety including gps. I dont go in where there is not water to be had so that makes a big difference, was there water anywhere where you were at?

I do hunt an area where water is 5 miles away and day 2 is spent muling water back to camp. Usually day 4 is the same but 6 or seven days can be had still running 40 to 45 lbs going in. The water haul afternoons are tuff but you can hunt all that way so its not terrible.

Wow, we need to tune your pack a little??? I can run 3 days backcountry at 35 lbs including spot scope tripod and pistol, a good book and all the needed items for safety including gps. I dont go in where there is not water to be had so that makes a big difference, was there water anywhere where you were at?

I do hunt an area where water is 5 miles away and day 2 is spent muling water back to camp. Usually day 4 is the same but 6 or seven days can be had still running 40 to 45 lbs going in. The water haul afternoons are tuff but you can hunt all that way so its not terrible.

Same here.......42-44 lbs tops for me with a gallon and a half of water. No tent, but a good 10'x10' tarp which I make a Plow point shelter. 15degree down bag with a fleece liner or wool blankie if I need it and a light weight foam pad I shortened just past the knee. A 42oz stainless steel pot w/ lid. I also carry my favorite Tomahawk (3 lbs).

I may carry at times a MSR ceramic filter but I rarely used it so now I don't carry if I know where I'm going. I know quite a few spots exactly where to get water straight outta the ground throughout my land. I fill straight up since it travels about 1' from source. But unfamiliar area I bring a filter.

I'm a "minimalist" when backpacking especially in familiar settings. I have a spot four miles "in" I cached dry goods and emergency items in two big ammo cans hidden in my fav. deer and antler hunting area. I started with one ammo can then two which I leave for the following years. In one ammo can dry food, other can a pot & utes, flint & steel, tarp, Wyoming saw, 50-80'p-cord, and a cheapy first aid kit.

If ya find the cache, your welcome to use it, just replenish the food.

T.P.

Wet Wipes

Bladder on Pack

Knives

Game Bags

GPS

Cell Phone (charged & off)

Camera

Merino Full Base

Gloves

Merino Socks

Food

Para Cord

Fire

Fire Starter (packets)

Batteries

Tape

Tarp

Wind Checker

Snuff

Flagging Tape

Pocket Whistle

Arrows

Face Paint

Scent Killer Spray

Scent Free Deodorant

Tinactin

License

Tag

Snake Bite Kit

Good Sleeping Bag / Pad

Pistol

Keys to your Truck

Hand Warmers

Salt

Pepper

That's all I got for now.. all the above^^^

I usually pack in for 7 to 8 days and I used to hump a 60 pound pack for that length of time. I had done shorter hunts and got away with 40 pound packs but it seems like about the time i have things (the deer) figured out I have to leave. 3 or 4 days just isn't long enough.

The extra 3 or 4 days in the field is starting to pay off. I would go in and pre-scout and stash a camp set up. Then I didn't have to carry it all on my back which I have done before. Anyone who has gone to Revise Ranch from the Roger Trough end knows what a hike that is. I humped a 60 pound pack up there and stayed for 8 days. That was some serious work but because of the extra provisions for the length of stay it was worth it.

Now I upgraded to pack goats and my time is much better managed. I can make an even more comfortable camp but the best part is I don't need to rely on having water a source nearby. I can pack it in now and stash it for a hunt. When its super cold in January and you have to get up in the mornings out of a nice warm sleeping bag to get dressed in cold clothes it sure is nice to have a gas lantern to warm up the tent. :) One 2lb bottle can last 8 nights if you manage it correctly. All that stuff including a bigger tent is brought in and stashed prior to the hunt. I have done all of this even before the goats and to me, its worth it.

GBA

Good list spotnstalker how many days is that for

If you have a water filter it depends on how long you want to be out there. Food and water with a change of socks and skibbys you could go for a long time. This season I think I spent 12 or 14 days in the field. ... Hummm. thinking here

1. 5 1/2 days

2. 4 days

3. 2 days

4. 2 1/2 days

yeah... it was 14 days I think. .. As for "gettin deep" and such, food and water is the thing. If you can pack in heavy and set up then working "your areas" should be fine for as long as you can make it, or stand your own self...

Clothes think wool, less stink. Water filter a Sawyer or drops. now i cant find my list.