Sign in to follow this  
BackwoodsHunter

Backpacking hunt

maybe try puting sleep pad down at bottom back of pack makes it nice with more surface to set it down and not have to lean it on something. remember never leave your bow anywhere and walk even 10 feet to glass or pee, keep it close always. also gps mark your pack if going for a stock, very easy to lose the spot and be surching for your pack. lol very cool to see someone take advise then use it, cant wait to see story and pics. i will be up next weekend packing mules for one last deer hunt

So i made it back from my adventure, and i had a blast. Thanks to everybody that gave me input and advice. I learned a lot about how much to bring, what to bring, what not bring, and all that. All the advice i received was spot on! Little story to go along with the weekend, got all packed up on saturday morning and headed out to pick up my buddy. Once i got my buddy we headed for the hills. After a bit of a drive we arrived where we would start our hike right at dark. With our packs on our backs, head lamps on, and boots on the ground we got to moving. 4 miles and a hour and a half later we got to camp. sunday morning we got to our glassing spot before the sun came up and immediately found deer, so decided to move closer. I gave my buddy first stalk on a great group of muleys. There was 5 good shooter bucks with a group of 35-40 does. After closing the distance to 65 yards he couldn't get a good shot so we moved on and went to a different spot. immediately again we picked up deer, this time being coues. 2 nice bucks, with 5 or so does. I went for the stalk, and got into bow range, at 55 yard just over a small rolling hill i could see the tree the bigger buck was in so it was a matter of getting just a tad closer. 15 yards later i could just see the tops of the antlers so i sat down to wait for the buck to stand up and the wind swirled and the rest of my view was whitetails mooning me. Back to camp we went for some lunch. My buddy napped, and i did some slow glassing. When my buddy woke up to go out again he mentioned he was sick, and was developing a fever. Based on his conditions, we decided to hike it out to the truck and head home. Even though we didn't bring home deer we brought some awesome times and experiences home! Thanks again, and i can't wait for the next trip.
Happy hunting!

post-10716-0-53778200-1390267841_thumb.jpg

post-10716-0-24000400-1390267979_thumb.jpg

post-10716-0-93811000-1390268036_thumb.jpg

post-10716-0-78856800-1390268171_thumb.jpg

post-10716-0-03383000-1390268243_thumb.jpg

post-10716-0-81109300-1390268254_thumb.jpg

post-10716-0-79027500-1390268315_thumb.jpg

post-10716-0-53721700-1390268420_thumb.jpg

post-10716-0-56128600-1390268556_thumb.jpg

post-10716-0-54013300-1390268606_thumb.jpg

Cool to see the pictures, sounds like you had a great experience. Hope your buddy gets better and you must have had some flat walking to cover 4 miles in that short a time. It would have probably taken me a bit longer.

Make a list of what worked and didn't. figure out why your buddy was sick, water, food etc... and eliminate it. I have been on the new mindset of buying good equipment (lightweight) and paying one time for it, not rebuying things. Lesson I'm learning now. I am learning to do lightweight to ultralight weight backpacking and I still bring the kitchen sink. You can make your own meals too. On a lighter note, manscape few days before the trip, helps with some easy gliding. The cashier may look at you funny as you check out with a bottle of nair, never know its a conversation starter which means a date with her!

Then just give him your buddies #. Lol

I would put a rug sack over that sleeping bag. If you don't want to buy a bedroll cover, an old pant leg works good.

Hahaha that's some funny stuff n2horns! Yeah I wrote down what to keep the same what to change all that! Edge it was a old blanket I had nothing I wasn't worried about tearing up, I used it inside my bivy sack. Thanks for everything again.

Great pics. That makes me want to get out for a trip.