Sign in to follow this  
BackwoodsHunter

Backpacking hunt

Depending what time of year and where you are going... water can be the most important thing. So a good ceramic filter...or hiking in some water ahead of time and stashing it near your camp area.

• Like 2

Baby wipes! It may be cold but a clean keaster will be a game changer! Haha

• Like 7

As long as you are not sweating very much you should be able to get by on 1/2 gallon per day. You can get by with MRE's, Mountain Home meals, nuts, Power Bars and some bananas.

• Like 1

the mountain house meals pack a lot lighter. If you go strictly with MREs, open the pouches and take out all the crap you dont think you'll use to save weight and space. I personally like to pack a few extra lbs just to have things that make up for it in comfort at camp. I have a couple little black diamond led lanterns, I pack a sleeping pad that rolls to about 6"x4", I pack a 2 person tent to have space and room in case it rains you can bring all your gear in. It all depends, some guys like to carry EVERYTHING they MIGHT need, some guys go super ultralight but what if you need extra stuff? Im kind of in the middle.

• Like 1

40lb pack i can go 4 or 5 days, i use mountainhouse all the way, mre are just bad and they weigh more. i make sure i have water to filter where i pack into. im used to having water for the mules anyway so most spots i hit have water if i backpack. try cameron hanes book on backcountry bowhunting, prety much the bible imo for hunting backcountry. fires me up just seeing the cover.

• Like 1

+1 on the water filter systems and the dehydrated meals. Don't skimp on first aid items (Tylenol, superglue, mole skin, bandages etc......). A small travel pillow and a lightweight pad are nice comforts to have. Other that that you don't need much more than is already in a standard daypack.

Lightweight tent and sleeping bag combo can turn a cold miserable night into a real comfortable lounge. Small camp stove, food, extra pairs of socks underwear, baby wipes for sure! If you really want go in style, try a tipi style tent with a woodstove. You can dry your clothes and cook over a good woodstove, even a small one. Nice to be able to stand and put your trousers on in the morning too. I'm getting too old to put my pants on lying down like some fat chick trying to squeeze in her skinny jeans!

• Like 2

My thermarest inflatable pad has been a life saver the last couple years. PUt down a foamey first to protect from rocks, sticker & provide insulation, then lay the inflatable on top of it. It's an extra pound that is worth 5 extra pounds in comfort when confronted with the hard Arizona ground.

• Like 1

I run the MSR sweetwater, best i have used. I run the 3 liter platapuss bladder and fill it at every water hole unless I know where I am, dont assume there will be water later. I also carry an empty 16 oz water bottle for filling ounce I am in deep, this is perfect for the mountainhouse meal for dinner. I will do coffe in the morning with my bladder water.

Monsoon season carry a small tarp and make a small pond out of it. Makes a great way to catch alot of water if you are base camping out of a area.

• Like 1

Most of the essentials have been mentioned, let me add one. Socks. Dry, clean wool socks. Even if your boots are waterproof, your feet sweat, bring 3 pair minimum and change 'em daily; just like Lt. Dan advised Pvt. Gump.

• Like 1