Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Nearly Got a Lion Last Night

Spent the last several days in the hills west of Tonopah, retrieving and moving trail cams and a little varmit calling. Got pics of some big bobcats and after about 40 minutes of calling, a big bobcat came into within 35-40 yards. But I was after a lion.

Headed back to break camp and load the horse and hit the road for home. Got on the Sun Valley Pky and at about 6;15pm and just a couple miles short of Bell RD, an animal came out of the brush and stepped into my lane. Holy Crap it was a mountain lion! I braked hard and just missed it as it walked north across four lanes, but not much traffic. Wasn't the biggest lion in town but was headed straight towards Wittman, passed the Shell station there on the parkway.

I'm after a lion, but tread marks on the rug might be a little suspicious.

Here's a partial pic of the bobcat I saw The other day.

post-11051-0-42057900-1390058146_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-91507700-1390058478_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-40166400-1390058524_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-94486400-1390110258_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Wow! Great job calling to pull in a bobcat! That would be tough to pass on!

I have bobcats in my backyard....

great thats where i go jogging, you should have plowed him. lol

i do workouts for me and my mules in the white tanks and have seen lions in there, they have a big range i bet they are headed for that festival place and picking off some yappers. lol

hope i can get out there with you soon. keep at it cant wait to see some lion down pics.

Bobcats in your backyard? Wish you were my neighbor!

AZDOGMAN1, very nice of you to offer your hounds for a chase.

If you want to PM me your number, I'll call you if I spot a lion.

I rode a trail last Wed and when I rode it back out again found lion tracks in mine so they were 6-8 hours old or less.

I can not believe you passed on a bobcat! you should let me tag along with you, you can have the lions, but if you wanna pass on all the bobcats that come in, I will happily shoot them! Are you sure that you are sane!!!

• Like 1

Ha, they were so common in UT where I lived, I saw 5 in one day, two of which were kittens in my yard.. Had tons of red fox, too.

On a blacktail hunt in north central WA in 1997, watched a lynx go after shrews in the snow. Don't recall if they were protected at the time.

Passed on them all.

It was a big, big bobcat and he's still out there. When I first saw him coming in, I thought I was looking at a young lion. His stubby tail must have been 8-10" long.

That partial daytime pic and the night time pics of the cat at the water tank were taken in the same spot, but they are 2 different kitties.

• Like 1