Sign in to follow this  
Norteno

AZGFD AerialSurvey in 24a? 1-18-14

Felt like I was hunting in a Southern unit yesterday with a low flying helicopter overhead. This guy was up and down ever canyon all around us. Two guys were sitting on the doors looking outside. My guess is it was azgfd. Anybody know anything about this? Not sure if the helicopter helped or hurt our hunting but I scanned the area it was flying over to see if he kicked anything up.

As far as the hunt goes we were in a Muley area and there were no bucks with 5 different groups of does we located.

Edit: I can't get the video to work so just added a pic. Video is just chopper with sound.

trim.A05BFCC6-D237-44D2-9BAC-590A95D41253.MOV

post-5874-0-12869100-1390149277_thumb.jpg

yes azgf is doing aerial surveys of south central thru se AZ thru early Feb.

Hopefully they won't find anything and there will be no tags this year for 24a trust me it really needs it.

• Like 2

They will say they need to double the tag numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest 300ultramag.

I agree clay- this unit could take some time off from three rifle hunts and 3 archery seasons

Didn't know they circled around in there scouting,all the units I hunt they just fly a grid the same one they fly every year,nice to know in some units they actually look around.

This was no grid. This was up and down one of my favorite hunting areas. I would have paid a good chunk of change to be a passenger on that chopper. I could have learned more in 30 minutes then I have the last 4 seasons.

Norteno, Was this during the week of the 6th through the 11th? I had the very same chopper fly over me with 2 guys in white helmets sitting on the side. They flew circles around me several times and then went down the canyon I hunt and disappeared, almost looked to me like search and rescue. I was watching a good buck that was really high up. so high in fact that the buck was looking down on top of the Helicopter as it went by. It didn't seem to bother the deer at all and that chopper was really close to them. I actually put that buck to bed and put a stalk on him only to have the wind swirl when I was at 42 yards. By the way, I was in unit 23.

GBA

No this was Saturday the 16th. I also thought they might were looking for something by the way they were flying over a concentrated area.

Yeah, same two guys in white helmets.

It would have been nice to push this off until Feb.