Sign in to follow this  
ADDICT

AZ ARCHERY DESERT MULE DEER (VIDEO)

VIDEO LINK:

winner_tight_2_small_edited-2.jpg

front_sun.jpg

front_right.jpg

shade_front.jpg

I backpacked into a nasty basin on Monday night. Due to the full moon I only saw does and little bucks that evening. I slept under the brightest moon Ive ever seen and knew the deer were up all night so I was doubtful about the morning.

I picked this hog up at 7:30 a mile away. I filmed him for a few minutes then he slipped into a pocket. A few seconds later I watched two more bucks drop in so I knew war had commenced!!!!

I ripped across the flats and made it to them just as the dust was settling. My buck dominated and won took the does up a rocky canyon. The other two 150 class bucks headed out the wash.

I worked after the deer for an hour and put my sneaky feet on once I was at the mouth of the canyon. The wind was strong in my face and I whittled up the wash for a few hundred yards. The wind had all of the brush and palo verdes swaying so much that I walked right into the does!!! I had a fawn bedded, out cold at 15 yards. They proceeded to mingle and browse all around me. I knew the buck was near and I filmed the does expecting him to pop up with them.

As they worked around me I noticed the buck coming up the wash from behind!!! He passed me at 50 yards but I was pinned from drawing because of the does. He got with the ladies and plopped down and bedded right in the sun!! 40 yards, looking right at me. I had an arrow nocked, release clipped and waited for 20 min or so for a doe to distract him. She busted me mid-draw but I side-stepped into the opening and settled my pin on his chest.

The arrow blew right through his heart and lung and he jumped out of bed and only made it 15 yards before expiring!!! No video of the kill and it would've been epic!

I work so hard on these public land desert mule deer. I literally have hunted 60 days total since killing my last desert buck in Aug 2012.

They are fascinating critters and the ULTIMATE survivor. The desert is so dry and crunchy that they really are the toughest spot and stalk animal I have ever hunted!

"You skin grizz?"

• Like 1

Congratulations on your buck and for putting together a fantastic video. You certainly have what it takes to have your very own television show. Thank you for sharing. I really enjoyed watching.

TJ

• Like 1

Great video and one heck of a buck!

• Like 1

ADDICT, I enjoy your video's, you put a lot of thought into them and keep the suspense rolling. You also seem to have a knack for picking the right tunes to go with them. Probably my favorite scene was of your draw and shoot at the target with the camera on it. It was cool how you figured out how to shoot the target and make it move on impact then edit into your video. I have a great appreciation for the effort you put into videoing your hunts. I have tried it and found i spend more time messing with camera equipment then hunting. But you manage it well and STILL kill big bucks. Great job dude! looking forward to seeing many more.

GBA

• Like 1

Thanks a ton guys! GBA, thanks for understanding! I second guess the film stuff every time it costs me a an animal! Rarely, very rarely it all comes together!