Sign in to follow this  
Lv2hnt

#11 and counting ...

So, does anybody want to go predator hunting just outside the boundary? I.e. Calling? Lions roam many miles within their home range... Can't hurt, and might be fun. Anyone have any sheep in distress calls ;)?

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, you CAN lion hunt in the area, just can't pursue with hounds.

• Like 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, you CAN lion hunt in the area, just can't pursue with hounds.

You can hunt in the area, you just can't hike off the trails. So go set up on the trail and call, just watch out for the hippie hikers who will walk up on you and start screwing with you. And hope that the lion walks in on the trail and dies on the trail so you can retrieve him.

/>

You can hunt in the area, you just can't hike off the trails. So go set up on the trail and call, just watch out for the hippie hikers who will walk up on you and start screwing with you. And hope that the lion walks in on the trail and dies on the trail so you can retrieve him.
Not so fast... the USFS website says the entire Sheep Reintroduction area is closed to entry... another restriction and loss of hunting opportunity...

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coronado/news-events/?cid=STELPRDB5446651

now even if the area was open to lion hunting, but you had to stay on trails, and you stayed on the trail and saw a lion and shot it, would you be able to retrieve the lion (off the trail)?????

Guys, the area is open to lion hunters and no you don't have to stay on trails. If you have your legal lion hunting permits and you are actively hunting, then you are exempt from the closure. This information is directly from AGFD and they have cleared it with the USFS. There is an exemption clause in that closure and your lion hunting permit allows you to be exempt. If you read that link that Lance posted you can find the exemption paragraph. I posted it in another thread as well. If you want to try and go kill a lion you may spot and stalk or call. Maybe try on Sutherland Ridge.

You will have to pack out the head for inspection by Game & Fish. And, the eatable meat because they are listed as game animals. You can use the gutless and boneless method. Does anyone have a recipe for lion?

/>Guys, the area is open to lion hunters and no you don't have to stay on trails. If you have your legal lion hunting permits and you are actively hunting, then you are exempt from the closure. This information is directly from AGFD and they have cleared it with the USFS. There is an exemption clause in that closure and your lion hunting permit allows you to be exempt. If you read that link that Lance posted you can find the exemption paragraph. I posted it in another thread as well. If you want to try and go kill a lion you may spot and stalk or call. Maybe try on Sutherland Ridge.

Thank you for actually researching this. Lance, maybe you can do the same next time before posting bogus info.

/>

/>Guys, the area is open to lion hunters and no you don't have to stay on trails. If you have your legal lion hunting permits and you are actively hunting, then you are exempt from the closure. This information is directly from AGFD and they have cleared it with the USFS. There is an exemption clause in that closure and your lion hunting permit allows you to be exempt. If you read that link that Lance posted you can find the exemption paragraph. I posted it in another thread as well. If you want to try and go kill a lion you may spot and stalk or call. Maybe try on Sutherland Ridge.

Thank you for actually researching this. Lance, maybe you can do the same next time before posting bogus info.

Did you actually research anything yourself? Or just wanted to jump in after reading her comment and say something as if you have known you could hunt there the whole time? There are plenty of laws we all read that sounds a certain way so we think it is that way. Just like a bunch of other people thought it was that way.

Lance didn't post bogus info.....I read the link and thought the same as Lance did until AGFD pointed out the exemption clause. I am just happy to know that we can hunt in there.

• Like 1