Sign in to follow this  
scoutm

How Many Different Units Have You Tagged a Deer In?

Units  

69 members have voted

1. 1. How many units have you harvested Coues deer in?

• 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7-8
    • 9+

Sun Devil and I were talking and he thought an intersting topic/poll would be to find out how many different units people have harvested deer in. For me of the 7 deer I've harvested 4 have come from 30A. For Sun Devil each of his deer have come from different units. What about you?

Sun Devil and I were talking and he thought an intersting topic/poll would be to find out how many different units people have harvested deer in. For me of the 7 deer I've harvested 4 have come from 30A. For Sun Devil each of his deer have come from different units. What about you?

All of the coues I have taken have come from two units that neighbor each other and surprising enough they are over 3 hours from where I live.

Where is the 0 (ZERO) Box?! <_< :lol:

That's the only one I can check! :lol: :lol:

Where is the 0 (ZERO) Box?! <_< :lol:

That's the only one I can check! :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thats killin me :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don’t have a unit map here, and I’ve forgotten most of the unit numbers, but here are the mountain ranges where I’ve killed Coues deer since I started hunting deer in Arizona 58 years ago. Some of these places may be in the same units:

Catalina Mtns, BaboquivarI Mtns, Galiuro Mtns, Santa Rita Mtns, Tumacori Mtns, Sierrita Mtns, Patagonia Mtns, Chiricahua Mtns, Peloncillo Mtns, Huachuca Mtns, Sierra Ancha Mtns, Eagle Creek, Blue River, Texas Canyon, Skeleton Canyon. .

There could have been a couple more, but these are the ones I remember.

When the Tucson Citizen still published feature articles about deer hunting, I tried to hunt a different place every year so I could write about it. I went all over the state and brought home deer more often than not. More than half of them were mule deer, though.

I can’t explain it, but I never mounted any Coues deer I shot. I guess I was hoping to get a really good one. (I do have a mount of a very wide nontypical head I picked up in Mexico.) My best Coues deer was a heavy, 103-net buck from the Baboquivaris, but I never was a trophy hunter when it came to deer. I always shot the first one that jumped up. I like to eat them too much.

It’s amazing how many good memories this thread brought back to me. Thank you.

Bill Quimby

I don’t have a unit map here, and I’ve forgotten most of the unit numbers, but here are the mountain ranges where I’ve killed Coues deer since I started hunting deer in Arizona 58 years ago. Some of these places may be in the same units:

Catalina Mtns, BaboquivarI Mtns, Galiuro Mtns, Santa Rita Mtns, Tumacori Mtns, Sierrita Mtns, Patagonia Mtns, Chiricahua Mtns, Peloncillo Mtns, Huachuca Mtns, Sierra Ancha Mtns, Eagle Creek, Blue River, Texas Canyon, Skeleton Canyon. .

There could have been a couple more, but these are the ones I remember.

When the Tucson Citizen still published feature articles about deer hunting, I tried to hunt a different place every year so I could write about it. I went all over the state and brought home deer more often than not. More than half of them were mule deer, though.

I can’t explain it, but I never mounted any Coues deer I shot. I guess I was hoping to get a really good one. (I do have a mount of a very wide nontypical head I picked up in Mexico.) My best Coues deer was a heavy, 103-net buck from the Baboquivaris, but I never was a trophy hunter when it came to deer. I always shot the first one that jumped up. I like to eat them too much.

It’s amazing how many good memories this thread brought back to me. Thank you.

Bill Quimby

COME ON BILL, YOU'RE JUST BEING MODEST, I THINK I'VE HEARD MORE HUNTIN' STORIES FOR THE LAST 20+ YEARS ABOUT YOU, ALEX, AND MY DAD THAT COULD ACCOUNT FOR MOST OF THOSE MOUNTAIN RANGES, AND I KNOW I HAVE NOT HEARD ALL THE STORIES. YOU'VE HUNTED THEM ALL HAVEN'T YOU. JUST KIDDING... A BLAST FROM THE PAST

"LITTLE" GRANT MACLEAN...I'M NOW 37!!!!

1st - 24A or B (cant remember which one)

2nd - 32

3rd - 30A

4th - 36C

5th - 34B

6th - NM 23

7th - 33

One in each.

Now thats a lot of scouting!

"COME ON BILL, YOU'RE JUST BEING MODEST, I THINK I'VE HEARD MORE HUNTIN' STORIES FOR THE LAST 20+ YEARS ABOUT YOU, ALEX, AND MY DAD THAT COULD ACCOUNT FOR MOST OF THOSE MOUNTAIN RANGES, AND I KNOW I HAVE NOT HEARD ALL THE STORIES. YOU'VE HUNTED THEM ALL HAVEN'T YOU. JUST KIDDING... A BLAST FROM THE PAST "LITTLE" GRANT MACLEAN...I'M NOW 37!!!!"

Hi Grant. Alex and your father are part of my memories of many great hunts from about 1970 or so. We had lots of fun together from the Strip to the Patagonias and every conceivable place in between. It would be great if we could be young again and do it all over again. Incidentally, your father is one of the best Coues deer hunters I know.

Bill