22 was one of my choices, 3rd I think so if I get drawn there, I will no doubt be going with Elvis Presley!

I agree with you Rembrant on the fringe areas. I read an article in a magazine a few years back about Fringes of fire areas being real Hot Spots :D (pun intended) for deer and critters in general. The article said something about the nutrients released make the grass and small plant growth really appealing to the animals.

The cover aspect of a moonscape keeps game near the edges so they can feed during the darker hours and stay in the covered areas for security during daylight. One other point is the moonscape being less populated means the fringe areas are more populated. Sort of like all the people from everywhere else moving out to AZ. The fringe areas can really be harmed though if the population is too dense so the hunters come in to do their part again. A fire this size, in the right areas might cause the AZGFD to offer emergency Depredation permits like they did around Flagstaff a few years back with the elk heards. Missed that one but I'm ready for the next one!

I have seen animals (deer elk, cows) flee well ahead of fires but no doubt they do get cut off by fire on occason. We do not hear the PETA posse griping about wildfires though so they must not have much evidence showing animals cannot evade fires.

Edited by az4life

az4life, please don't even think about everyone moving to Arizona!?! They might just start thinking about it and before you know it...............

Peckl1

Sorry but the secret is out! They are already here and bringing more with them every day!

Hopefully not too many know how to hunt! I know it is a lot different than most any other state.

Wildfires in AZ are generally excellent at improving deer habitat. The resprouting of vegetation they create is used heavily by deer. I have been hiking throughout much of the Mt Lemmon fire area the last three summers and see quite a bit of whitetail and they are feeding alot on the small green resprouting shoots of the maples and aspens. There are also a grasses and forbs that they are eating. The locust is coming back real thick and there is a lot of browsing on that.

Some of the heavily used areas by elk and deer I have seen in AZ have been created by wildfires. I am very pro-fire in regards to how it improves wildlife habitat.

Amanda

Guest Ernesto C

I'm with you Amanda 100% I'm also a pro-fire for wild life habitat individual. I just don't like the fire to interrupt my hunt of a life time. ;)

Blessings...just my two cents. :D

Ernesto C.

You guys that hunt the catalinas, I have a ???

Did the area of the big fire (last year?) respond in time to bring deer in Dec.

I finally got a #22 WT. tag. But allot of the spots I use to hunt burned up in the Willow fire.

I figured it might take a couple of years. Boy some of that country needed to burn.

I will be looking at it very close. Hope it rains!!!

Deer were back in some of the burned areas in October in the Catalinas, we killed one 2 years ago in the Bullock burn. I think some burned areas in 22 should hold deer by December...

That burn is one of the best things that could have happened to the whitetail habitat in that area. It'll take a while (a few years) to come to fruition, but it could be really interesting this year as well.

As mentioned earlier in this string, the deer that were in the area that got nuked will be stacked up in adjacent areas. The fringes should be good to hunt. Look for water and north facing cover in close proximity to the burn. Deer will be licking minerals right off the burnt forest floor.

Ever walk through some of that country? Not with any ease. There was too much mature scrub oak, mahogany, manzanita and cliff rose, not to mention the mature canopy of juniper and pine. Nature just took her vacume cleaner through there and cleaned house. That'll make for some great glassing. And a lot of fire-ignorant folks won't even go there to hunt because burnt breaks their hearts.

Speaking of burnt, isn't there at least one other major burn in 22 that would be beautifully regrown right about now?

A 22 tag in hand = major blessing.

Mike

Mike

I think you do have a good tage with the summer burn behind you! Dec should be great and the additional minerals shouldhelp the rack growth. Maye you could even get a better deer than without the burn..

Aside from a few smaller burns a few years ago to the right side of the highwya past rye, I cannot think of any burns up there recently.

Good Luck

I spent some time in some burn areas (lower areas of the Aspen and Bullock burn) and didn't see any deer in them. All of the deer I did see this summer were not in burn areas (10 to 15 each time I was out). There were green shoots coming up at the bottom of the oak trees which I would think would be good deer food. I figure the reason why I didn't see any because there wasn't much cover from preditors.

AZ4life,

I was thinking about the major burn on top of Four Peaks. That ought to be chest high in aspens (Ice cream for deer). Don't know 'cause I've never been up there.

I don't have a 22 tag - just encouraging the guys that do. I get to hunt across the basin in 23. Hee Haw!!

Mike

I have had a few hunting spot go up in flames. The first time is happened I felt like the Indian in that polution comercial. You know the one, when the Indian is in his canoe heads for land and get out to walk up a hill, only to see car, highways, and someone throws a big mac at him. The camera gets a shot of his face and there is one little tear. But if I had to choose to have those spots go up in flames of not. I would choose the flames. Watch out for flash floods, because there is no vegitation to soak it up. Plus the first year you can walk around and you don't make any noise. When you step on ash, no nois. Next year you will see more game than you have ever before. The only down side is your camos get carcoal stains.

Yeah, what bcoover said.

Mike