Sign in to follow this  
chompy

What arrows to use

Looking for a little advice. Drew my first bull tag finally and was wondering if my current combo will work okay. Currently I'm shooting a Hoyt maxis 31 68lbs with carbon express maximum hunter 250 arrows with 100 grain montec g5 broad heads. This has worked well for deer just wondering what everyone thought about this combo for elk. What should I change etc.

If you are comfortable shooting that setup and are confident you can put the arrow where it needs to be then you will kill the elk with that setup.

Just remember arrow placement is what kills and kills fast. That's número uno.

You can get other stuff that you like or feel even more confident in and hey that's part of the fun too.

• Like 1

That will work yes. Might be a little light on arrow weight but it will still work. depending on your draw length you might be underspined with the 250's. Moving up to maxima 350's will get you properly spined and also give you a bit of extra arrow weight which will help. There are a bunch of guys that think you have to have a 500 gn arrow to take an elk and that is a bunch of bs. I have killed two with arrow weights of 376 and 386. The 386 arrow made it through an elk front shoulder as well. Plenty of penetration.

• Like 1

Your arrows won't work. You should give your tag to me.

And I'm shooting 509gr sticks, just FYI :]]

• Like 2

You probably need a stiffer spine, but other than that any tuned moderate setup will work.

Chompy I drew a bull tag last year. I started changing my whole set up around, I spent alot of money that I probably didnt need to. Dont over think things just stick to what works. But I would recommend easton injexions.

Congrats on the tag! I too finally pulled a tag and have the exact same bow as you. Accuracy is the most important thing, if you shoot that bow well and are confident with it, keep it. Use a heavy arrow and stick with fixed blade 100gr heads, but throw those Montecs in the trash! I've seen more bulls lost or almost lost with G5's than any other head! If you insist on using the G5's, sharpen them as sharp as you possibly can get them…even then they won't be as sharp as a razor but they will be better. Best of luck! JIM>

/>Congrats on the tag! I too finally pulled a tag and have the exact same bow as you. Accuracy is the most important thing, if you shoot that bow well and are confident with it, keep it. Use a heavy arrow and stick with fixed blade 100gr heads, but throw those Montecs in the trash! I've seen more bulls lost or almost lost with G5's than any other head! If you insist on using the G5's, sharpen them as sharp as you possibly can get themeven then they won't be as sharp as a razor but they will be better. Best of luck! JIM>
I shoot Montec's and have been impressed with their ability to cut and stay intact (I like 1 piece broad heads)

Haven't shot an elk yet but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk with them based on what I've seen them do to other critters.

I'm not doubting your observations but I'm curious if it was user error or broad head failure that led you to feel the way you do about them.

Sorry OP, not trying to hijack..

I've seen some piss poor blooodtrails from montecs. One from user error and one from a lung shot although the bad shot still should have bled, which it pretty much didn't. Both on deer not elk. They'll kill an elk just fine if put through the lungs, but there's better options out there in my opinion.

It's been both, good and bad shots, and like creed said, punch both lungs and no problem but there are better options. Basically use the sharpest broadheads you can find and the G5's aren't them! Lots of folks use the G5's and that's why I've seen a lot of scenarios play out with them, more bad than good.

Jim what unit did you draw hopefully 9 since you know it well, I put 9 1st and 10 second. Last time I was in 9 you guys took 3 bulls off the same waterhole way out west I'm sure you know which one I'm talking about. Which broad heads do you recommend I'm not committed to montecs

Just curious what broad heads everyone likes for elk

Wac'ems, slick tricks are good heads.