Sign in to follow this  
Will K

22 South Archery Bull November Hunt

I drew the 22 South Archery Bull hunt in November. Who else drew this tag on here?

Will

TJ is the man when it comes to this unit. There are some beasts in there.

• Like 1

TJ? Can you connect us? My son has his first elk tag ever and I'd rather work with others than conflict.

• Like 1

Flatlander, I'm flattered but I only hunted elk once in 22S and it was because I wrote down the wrong hunt unit number. Had everybody on my tag mad at me and come to think of it some haven't hunted with me since. :huh: I do know a few water holes from scouting it that year, 5 or 6yrs ago, but other than that I do not know the unit like you think. :)

azshr..........pm sent

TJ

My bad. I must have got my stories from years past crossed up. I do know that someone on here has a group of guys that hunts this hunt regularly. Unfortunately for these guys it's not you.

I had this tag last year (Nov archery). Tough hunt that time of year. The bigger bulls have moved UP the mountain by November. I know this country from several years of coues hunting and we see a lot of bulls during the early deer season. We did a ton of glassing and covering ground...saw cows most days, some small bulls. There are some nice hidden water holes/springs, but there will be competition with others....mainly the local rancher and brother-in-law "guide". They have tree stands and blinds set up on most of the water. I tried to stay out of his way, mainly because he was trying to get his young daughter a bull....and I don't like playing the "I was here first, get outa' here" game. He ended up settling for a spike and his daughter did not get her bull.

We hunted between Hwy 87 and the Mazatzals from Deer Creek to North Peak. You can do a lot of glassing...plenty of roads to get around, but a lot of thick brush and lots of catclaw. I had my camera set up on a hike-in waterhole south of Barnhardt Ridge for a couple weeks. Got pigs, a few does, a few cow elk and a spike bull. I sat it two evenings....nothing. I did not put in for that hunt this year, and did not draw. Bulls can be found...few and far between, sitting water depends on how dry it is. We usually get a winter storm around that time of year. That was my experience.

TJ runs the 22N elk hunts, not the 22 south ones. Always seems to be bulls on the north end of the Mazatals.

• Like 1

Me and my uncle also have this hunt.this will be his first and probably last archery hunt. Looking fowerd to a fun hunt. Spike or big bull dosent matter. Ive hunted 22n a few times so we figured lets try south. Good luck and have fun fellas.

• Like 1

TJ runs the 22N elk hunts, not the 22 south ones. Always seems to be bulls on the north end of the Mazatals.

Thanks kidso, now my phone is ringing off the hook and my pm inbox is full. :huh: I'm sure kidso was just paying me a compliment but let me set the record straight. I don't run any elk hunts in 22N. :lol: :lol: It's not a secret it's my favorite unit. :D

Good luck everyone on the elk & antelope hunts. Anyone want to swop a goat tag for an elk tag? ;)

TJ

My son and I drew this hunt for the first time this year also. We plan on going thru a couple of pairs of boots each learning more about the unit. We hope to meet some of you out there. Good luck to everyone that drew tags this year.

• Like 1