crazyaboutcoues

My 2006 Archery Coues hunt

After wrapping up the last of my clients for 2006, I finally had time to scout for myself. Tito, Gabriel, and I set out on the morning of December 16th to set up a stand on my favorite spot in Unit 24. We actually were planning on setting up two stands but the water hole where the second stand was going up just happen to be a mud hole. <_< So we just ended up carrying the second stand just to stay in shape. ;) We set up a trail cam exactly 40 yards from my treestand facing a transition zone where four game trails meet.

December 23, 2006 - I headed back up to check on my trail cam and locate two water holes. We got a pretty good snow in my area so I was pretty pumped this morning. It's a 10.8 mile drive on my fourwheeler to the trail head then another .75 miles to my stand. Here's a pic over looking the area I hunt.

post-35-1166917615_thumb.jpg

When I got to my trail cam I was pretty happy with what I saw the camera took 26 pix and that place was just destroyed with track. ;) . I climbed up the treestand and took a few pix of the trails.

post-35-1166918086_thumb.jpg

Here's a closeup from the treestand.

post-35-1166918200_thumb.jpg

I replaced the trail cam with another cam and went off to find the water holes. First water hole was about half a mile from the stand. It wasn't to promising the water was froze solid and only one set of mule deer track had gone by since the snow.

post-35-1166918461_thumb.jpg

So I set off to find the other tank. This tank was more promising it was positioned in th sun enough to thaw one side out by midday. Saddly I didn't see any fresh track at the tank, but there were plenty of track in the area.

post-35-1166918670_thumb.jpg

I had seen enough so I headed back to the wheeler. I was anxtious to see what was in the trail cam.

After seeing the pix in the Trail Cam, I can safely say that i'm pleased with the outcome hehe

There were does that came thru just about every day and I got a pic of a very nice muley too.

post-35-1166919358_thumb.jpg

post-35-1166919429_thumb.jpg

post-35-1166919498_thumb.jpg

Here's the muley that came thru early Wednesday morning

post-35-1166919621_thumb.jpg

There was all kinds of activity on Thursday to many pix to down load.

post-35-1166919782_thumb.jpg

post-35-1166919867_thumb.jpg

Little button buck that was there just before I got to the cam

post-35-1166919996_thumb.jpg

post-35-1166920146_thumb.jpg

Here's something interesting. If you look at the first pic it looks like a doe running from something. The second pic shows her running staight away. The third pic looks like a buck that got there six minutes later. I might be a sign of the rut.

post-35-1166920445_thumb.jpg

post-35-1166920477_thumb.jpg

post-35-1166920505_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah I almost forgot this is the one I hope gets within range. ;)

post-35-1166920714_thumb.jpg

To be continued!!!

Very cool Tommy. Best of luck.

PS I think I've been there.

100_1657.jpg

100_1656.jpg

Am I right?

Great pics and I wish you some great success!

I know I've never been to that spot before but I'd bet money DEERSLAM is right! Great looking area for sure!

Mike...yep that's the spot. I told you there were Coues deer there. ;) If you look closley at Mikes pic the second Ponderosa left of the Oak is where my treestand is.

I'll head back up there December 30th to pic up the trail cam and look for scrapes. I'll miss opening day though because mama is tired of spending New Years eve without me :ph34r: . And Jamaro is just waiting for me to leave "dang Sancho". :blink:

Mike...yep that's the spot. I told you there were Coues deer there. ;) If you look closley at Mikes pic the second Ponderosa left of the Oak is where my treestand is.

I'll head back up there December 30th to pic up the trail cam and look for scrapes. I'll miss opening day though because mama is tired of spending New Years eve without me :ph34r: . And Jamaro is just waiting for me to leave "dang Sancho". :blink:

If you look real close my treestand is in the 1st pine :P

Soo... You will be in the mountains on Dec. 30th... I will be heading out just about every afternoon this week.. AND I better not find any of your scapes in my front yard... :P :P

J-