crazyaboutcoues

My 2006 Archery Coues hunt

December 30th - Just got back from my last scouting trip before the hunt. The snow was alot thicker from last week. It was actually still snowing off and on.

post-35-1167525912_thumb.jpg

There's about 10" of snow on the ground from the last two storms. I checked around the stand for scrapes but I didn't find any. I picked up my trail cam and headed back hoping the big buck made another showing. Unfortunately I didn't get another picture of him but that doesn't mean he wasn't in the area. It just means he didn't step in front of the camera. ;) I did get pix of what I think are the same does coming thru just about every day. I'll be hunting December 2nd thru December 7th I know he has to show up at least once. ;)

To be continued

I hope you get that buck someday. I see the ladder to the treestand in the picture it looks like.

TOMMY AND A LADDER?????... My Fellow Beaner uses MY STEPS.... mine steps are about 6 inches apart for my short legs and his are about 40 inches about... Tommy is half monkey.... that and he hangs his stands about 30 feet high.... Seriously...

j-

Day ones over, I got to my stand at exactly 7:00am and the morning was very very cold :ph34r: . At about 8:00am I started rattleing and grunting to see if I could get something to respond, nothing. At around 9:00am things got better, I could hear deer moving around in front of me about 75 yards away. I stood up and got ready, it sounded like the deer were running from something. Sure enough it was a hot doe being chased by a buck. I couldn't get a good look at the buck as he was chasing that doe in and out of the trees. It was good to see the rut was in full swing. After a while things just got quiet again, no movement, no nothing. I figured the buck chased the doe down the ridge away from my stand. Oh well at least the adrenaline got me a little warmer ;) . At 12:00pm I decided to head back to the wheeler, I couldn't stand the cold anymore :blink:.

Hopefully day two will be a little better.

to be continued

J- ...what do you mean 30 feet high. My stand is not one inch more than 27'

Dat two- I left 30 minutes earlier today so I could get to the stand in the dark. I felt really good today, it just seemed like the opportunity was going to present itself. This is the sixth year hunting coues deer with a bow and in those six years i've only shot one time and luckly the shot was true. I was thinking about this during the wheeler ride to the top of the ridge. I told myself this is my year.

When I arrived to the stand you could barly see the sun trying to peak over the eastern ridge. The morning was crisp but I knew it wasn't going to be as cold as yesterday. The first two hours were pretty quiet. A tassel eared squirrel jumping from tree to tree kept my mind off of the morning cold. At 10:00am I heard the sound of footsteps in the snow. Before I could reach for my bow, a doe walked out in front of me and right behind her was the buck I was looking for. He was a solid three point, dark horned with long tines. In that split second I felt my heart race knowing that it's about to happen. The buck stopped at 45 yards. I had a quartering too shot but he was standing just behind a small ponderosa pine. My mind raced, can I sneak the shot thru? No the angles not right. So I waited what felt like an hour which was more like two minutes. Finally he stepped out, I started to draw and the doe looked up at me. I came to full draw and the buck (of course :blink: ) stopped behind a tree, leaving me no shot. I held the draw as long as I could but unfortunately I had to let off. The doe saw the movement and bolted. The buck followed here into the trees. :huh: It was a pretty exciting day, I almost had the shot. After it was all said and done it was disappointing knowing that I was so close to taking a good buck. I was playing the scenerio over and over in my mind, of things that I could have done different. It's not over till it's over. ;)

I'm staying home with the family tomorrow, i'll head back up on Friday.

Tommy,

Have you tried those chemical pocket handwarmers stufffed in your boots, pockets, kidneys, neck gaiter?

Good luck this friday.

Doug~RR

Sounds like you are having a blast Tommy. Before I hunted eastern whitetails in PA I never thought I could sit in a tree stand. Now I really look forward to hunting whitetail during the rut. Are you hearing any grunting? Can't wait to read more and see some pictures.

--Bill

Doug...I'm using the hand warmers, it's more my feet that get cold. ;)

Bill...i've grunted amd rattled and used the can, none are working right now. But i keep trying.

I took today off as well, after looking at the weather report night before last I figured the wind would not be good especially at 20-30 mph. :blink: I did talk with my hunting buddy that's hunting in the same area. I guess i picked the wrong day to take a day off. They took two bucks off the mountain on Thursday. One was a two point with eye guards and the other was a 80 class buck. Both hunters were hunting on the ground, on scrapes. It's raining outside right now, hopefully tomorrow is good. ;)

I looked again it's a Hangon Stand I used a magnafinglass to look at the picture.

Blasterman that picture is the one Deerslam posted he hunted over the same place in 2005.

Saturday morning was eventful to say the least. I left the house at 4:40am, about half way up the mountain it started snowing and the roads were very slick. I arrived at my buddies camp at 5:30am and loaded the bike for the 45 minute trek up the ridge. I got to the top at 6:26, the snow was coming down even harder. I figured I was going to freeze my cojones off again :huh:

I started down the ridge to my treestand and a 1/4 mile in I noticed there was something missing. Can you believe I left my quiver of arrows in my bowcase back at the wheeler :blink: So I turn back up the mountain in a brisk walk to get the quiver. Of course now my chances of getting to the stand before light were pretty slim and I was such in a hurry that i started to sweat which is not good when sitting in a tree in the snow. Finally I make to the stand, my treestand seat had about an inch of snow but it wasn't frozen. It started getting light and the snow was slowing down the good thing was there was no wind. The scenery was actually breath taking, I felt good about that morning. At 8:00 the sun broke thru the clouds and I had a steady wind hitting the right side of my face, it was the wind I needed for my stand location. Then it began!!!

A doe walks into my field of view and I knew there would be a buck close behind. It was a small two point with eyeguards. He was at 32 yards broadside, man I had to really think about not shooting this guy. He was not what I was looking for but this could mean that i didn't have to freeze my butt off anymore ;) . AAHH I decided not to shoot. The doe took off and the small buck went along with her. The same doe and buck came thru three different times tempting me to let the air out of him. Suddenly three does come thru and "Neo" was right behind them. Neo is a 95" class three point that came thru earlier in the week. You'll later understand why I call him Neo.

The three does were stand in the opening 35 yards from my stand and Neo was behind that same tree from earlier in the week. But this time he stepped out at 45 yards broadside. As before my heart had almost stopped. I started to draw and this time came to full draw without being seen. My heart started pounding even harder now. Here I am at full draw, the buck i've waited for for six years was in my sights "BROADSIDE" :blink: I put my 40yard pin low on his vitals knowing that i'll hit dead on at 45 from my tree. Then I told myself settle and squeeze settle and squeeze. SHOOM the arrow is gone, I see the arrow flying true perfect to it's mark. Then "NEO" decides to do his Matix debut and ducks almost going prostrate to the snow. I see the arrow deflect off his back and Neo's gone. I'm thinking that I still hit him enough to maybe expire him. Things happen so fast that the only way to find out was to check the arrow. I stayed in the tree for an hour to be sure that if he is hit hard, I wouldn't push him.

Now in this hour of waiting the young buck comes thru again and poses for me at 25 yards. :rolleyes: The young buck walks thru the spot where I hit Neo, he puts his nose to the ground and bolts off as if being chased by something. Hmmm he must of smelled blood. That's a good sign.

Finally I got off the tree and headed to the spot where the Neo was standing. I find my arrow stuck in the snow and mud. Sadly the arrow hit him just enough to take the hair off his back. There was no blood on the arrow but there was plenty off hair on the snow. I followed his track about 100 yards to see if he bled at all. No Dice just gave him a hair cut. So back to the drawing board Hopefully I can head back Wednesday. This is what i'll be doing until then.

post-35-1168275392_thumb.jpg

post-35-1168275406_thumb.jpg

Man, that's cool Tommy!! That little rascal done jumped the string and dodged fate yet again!! That had to be quite a rush. When are you headed back out again? The rut is on. Every Coues buck I saw last week was chasing does.

Scott I was planning on heading out again tomorrow but the wind is supposed to be pretty bad. I don't mined hunting in snow or even cold but wind is a different story :blink: . I'll probably hit it this weekend and Monday.

Mike...thanks for the "pick me up" I think i'm due also hehe ;)