crazyaboutcoues

My 2006 Archery Coues hunt

I took the day off yesterday to hunt the stand before the storm hit. Unfortunately all that came in was a spike. Someone did take a buck close to my stand because there was hair on the trail that I use to get to the stand, hopefully it doesn't spook the deer away and hopefully it wasn't NEO.

Both my hunting buddies are done Mike killed a small three point yesterday, so it's only me and J- now. We'll hit it again Saturday and Sunday.

I don't know.. I think I am getting and Eye Problem.... Eye(I) dont see my butt working on Friday... I will probably head out in the morning....

:blink: :blink:

J-

Jamaro,

Up here in the Jemez that particular problem is known as anal glaucoma. I personally get a reacurring condition I've come to know as hunter virus. It can be treated with a long walk in the fresh air with my dogs looking for a cat track. ;)

--Bill

I was running about 30 minutes late this morning, the alarm didn't go off and listening to the wind outside almost made me stay in bed. About half way up the ridge I could see the road without the headlights. I still didn't feel an urgency to get to the stand because the wind was HOWLING!!!

I got to the stand at 7:45am, the tree was swaying back and forth enough to where it started to make me dizzy. :blink: At 10:00am I couldn't stand it anymore it seem like the deer weren't going to cooperate. I decided to get off the tree and hit a flat where i've seen lots of scrapes in the past. It rained last night so the snow wasn't frozen and the pine needles were soak enough that they didn't crunch when you stepped on them. When I got to the flat, the wind was at my face and loud enough to muffle my steps. I scanned the ridge and saw movement about 100 yards away. At first I couldn't tell if it was a buck or a doe but it was definetly a coues deer. A couple more steps revealed a buck making a scrape. He was a small buck but this late in the game I decided that anything goes. I quietly got to about 50 yards of him. I realized that I couldn't get any closer so I waited for him to get broadside before I drew. Finally after about 5 minutes he stopped scrapeing and decided to be on his way.

He stopped for a minute to scan the area giving me a perfect broadside shot. I started to draw and he immediately looked my way. At fifty yards I figured that he would probably jump the string. So I aimed 45 yards low on the kill zone. I touched it off. The buck dropped as expected. But this time the arrow hit the mark. I heard the "whack" that's music bowhunters ears. He ran down the ridge in a way that I knew he was hurt. I stood there a minute seeing if I could hear him crash. Nothing, to much wind.

I waited 30 minutes before looking for blood. I found blood right where he was standing when I shot. It was just a few drops so I kept on the trail. Sure enough I found him piled up about 100 yards from where I hit him. For a moment I felt sorry for the buck, and I thanked God for giving me the opportunity to take him.

Anyway here he is!!!!!!!!!!

post-35-1168735969_thumb.jpg

post-35-1168736014_thumb.jpg

Not the buck I was looking for but I'm happy ;)

"Not the buck you were lookin for but your happy" Heck ya you got every right to be happy thats a great looking buck...Any coues with a bow is a TRUE trophy :P Congrats on the success and thanks for keeping us all posted on your hunt.

congratulations on your beautiful buck!!!! You had me checking in twice a day looking for updates. Just like 25-06 said any coues with a bow is a trophy. Congratulations

It's amazing to me how so many of you guys can find and kill these bucks in the pines. I wish I could figure it out. I've searched alot of country that I know deer move through and never find a rub. Good job!!!!

Friggin awesome dude!!!!!!!!

Congrats on a great buck. You have earned him! Thanks for taking us along on your trips.

Tommy,

Glad to hear of fruition for a person that worked diligently for his coues. Congrats. Smart thinking on the aiming low and anticipating his reaction. Thanks for taking us hunting with you through all your posts on the hunt.

Doug~RR

Tommy, is the buck you killed the same buck you got at 8:53 on December 23 on your trail cam? Looks like it could be?

Kevin