Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

A little Carp fishing

A few pictures of some Carp my wife & I caught yesterday and last sunday. My wife caught her fish at the ASU research ponds last Sunday. It was the biggest fish she has ever caught. She was very excited. She caught a couple of really nice Carp & cats yesterday, but my phone got messed up so the pictures were lost:( My fish were caught yesterday at one of the many SRP Canals in Mesa. Lots of fun!

post-1205-0-26229000-1397496501_thumb.jpg

post-1205-0-12323900-1397496522_thumb.jpeg

post-1205-0-72203000-1397496536_thumb.jpg

post-1205-0-40764200-1397496552_thumb.jpg

post-1205-0-15882500-1397496565_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Congratulations on catching them carp. There is no doubt you and the wife had a blast trying to haul them in. Thanks for sharing.

Since I work at the Water Treatment Plant in Chandler I know a little about these fish that are in our water source supplied by SRP. The big fish you are holding along the canal is a White Amur. They are native to China and SRP stocks them in their canals to control the moss and weeds. They started stocking them back in 1980 and they save hundreds of thousands of dollars in heavy equipment normally used to clean out the canals annually. Just about every canal you see while driving around the valley are stocked with them. As the canals become necessary to clean, most annually, the fish are carefully herded up and moved to a wet canal and then replaced later. A 7lb white armur can eat up to 3/4 of their weight in moss and weeds daily.

Here is something most people don't no about these fish. SRP encourages people to report the keeping of these fish to the AZ Game Thief Operation Hot Line however catch and release is alright from what I've been told.

I know a few who catch them on fly rods something I will be trying myself. :)

TJ

• Like 2

TJ are those also sterilized to prevent reproduction? One of my neighbors bought a few and put them in the lake behind the house where I grew up...suckers got huge and I always wanted to shoot them with my bow. My dad told me about the neighbor and kindly suggested that I not shoot them since they weren't common carp. :D

They definitely helped control the lily pads on that lake.

Congratulations on catching them carp. There is no doubt you and the wife had a blast trying to haul them in. Thanks for sharing.

Since I work at the Water Treatment Plant in Chandler I know a little about these fish that are in our water source supplied by SRP. The big fish you are holding along the canal is a White Amur. They are native to China and SRP stocks them in their canals to control the moss and weeds. They started stocking them back in 1980 and they save hundreds of thousands of dollars in heavy equipment normally used to clean out the canals annually. Just about every canal you see while driving around the valley are stocked with them. As the canals become necessary to clean, most annually, the fish are carefully herded up and moved to a wet canal and then replaced later. A 7lb white armur can eat up to 3/4 of their weight in moss and weeds daily.

Here is something most people don't no about these fish. SRP encourages people to report the keeping of these fish to the AZ Game Thief Operation Hot Line however catch and release is alright from what I've been told.

I know a few who catch them on fly rods something I will be trying myself. :)

TJ

Thank for the info TJ. I've been told by several SRP workers that it's ok to fish in the canals, but you are not allowed to keep any of the Carp.

I love Carp on a fly. I've caught a lot of these fish on a Fly rod. I usually chum the water with a LOT of bread. Once the fish start feeding on the surface I throw in a fly that I've tied to look like Bread. Get ready and hold on.

These fish didn't want to come up so I used conventional gear. I was just scouting for good spots to take my kids fishing. Were going tonight for some more fun. Teaching kids to fight Carp is a great way to teach them how to play big fish.

So thats what you were doing behind my house adam. Lol

So thats what you were doing behind my house adam. Lol

Actually we were being lazy. Walking tha bank was a lot easier than hiking up and down the hills looking for sheds:)

TJ are those also sterilized to prevent reproduction? One of my neighbors bought a few and put them in the lake behind the house where I grew up...suckers got huge and I always wanted to shoot them with my bow. My dad told me about the neighbor and kindly suggested that I not shoot them since they weren't common carp. :D

They definitely helped control the lily pads on that lake.

Yes, they are sterilized to prevent reproduction. What did you use to catch them? A friend of mine uses flies that look like moss. :)

TJ

TJ is the "Cliff Claven" of Coueswhitetail.com! :)

:huh: Who the heck is Cliff Claven? :blink:

TJ

TJ is the "Cliff Claven" of Coueswhitetail.com! :)

:huh: Who the heck is Cliff Claven? :blink:

TJ

TJ, you are killing me! Cliff Claven was the mailman on "Cheers" from the 1980s sitcom. He was the proverbial walking encyclopedia of things that people never wanted to know! :)

• Like 2