Sign in to follow this  
scoutm

Tripod Head

Looking for some feedback on a new tripod head. I currently have a Manfrotto tripod that I really like but I'm not very happy with the head - it has more play in it than I like and the up and down movement is very choppy. I'm considering a pistol grip but it's hard to get a feel for one without sitting behind it for a couple of hours. So, if anyone can share their likes/dislikes with their pistol grip head I would greatly appreciate it.

I have the manfrotto tripod with the manfrotto pistol grip head and I love the setup. I bought them seperate and didn't put them together for a while, but did for my coues hunt in October and don't think I could go back to the old style with the long rod you twist to tighten/loosen the head. The best part I think is how you can pull it up, and put it on it's side for an instant rest for a rifle.

DSCN1067.jpg

DSCN1068.jpg

It's really sturdy as a rest. I've taken it out to the Rio Salado range and taken shots out to 300 with no problem with being shaky. I do wrap a bandana around it when I'm using it but I took it off for the photos.

Well, I can't say I agree with the price, but Jim White's tripod head is really good when you're talking steady and no play. Call him direct, 928-635-5316.

I like the pictures you posted of your set up, But come on man dust that Rifle OFF a bit. :lol:

I like the pictures you posted of your set up, But come on man dust that Rifle OFF a bit. :lol:

Hey now! That's my old ought six that hasn't been shot for years! I didn't want to dig out the 7mm so that was grabbed. I could have used my Christmas present, the ole Red Ryder! :lol: But yeah, that gun needs to be cleaned along with the rest of my equipment.

I find the pistol grip can get fatiguing when you use it for awhile. But many people don't. I use Jim White's tripod head and really like it. It's fairly lightweight, small and stable. You can check out that tripod head and others in the CW.com store. here is the link:

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/bookstore/tripods_adaptor.htm

Amanda

I have been using the pistol grip from the outdooorsman located in phoenix. have had great results. its small lightweight and doubles as a gun rest. the hook on the pistol grip allows you to rest your hand while glassing. i have used the bogan, but the outdoorsman blows it out the water. smoothest pistol grip you can find.

Thanks for the feedback. How have you found the panning? With the pistol grip it seems unless you are really steady when you pan you will pan in both the horizontal and vertical plains - has anyone had problems maintaining good grids when glassing?

Thanks for the feedback. How have you found the panning? With the pistol grip it seems unless you are really steady when you pan you will pan in both the horizontal and vertical plains - has anyone had problems maintaining good grids when glassing?

for awsome panning, you need the panning attachment. you can obtain this item from jim white or the outdoorsman. jim white has information on coueswhitetail.com you will get the best grid panning with the panning attachment. weight, only 3.6 oz. just screw it to your pan head and you are good to go. you will pick up more game then ever.

You can buy the panning attachment here at the CW.com store. It really is a great addition to a pistol grip head. It makes for smooth panning and reduces the amount of fatigue from the pistol grip since you won't have to grip to make it pan.

Amanda

I got rid of the bogen/manfrotto head because of the weight and have been using the Jim White head for 4 years. It has been the best for me so far. It is silky smooth and pans very well. I shoot from it as well, just tilt the head up so the handle cradles your gun............Allen Taylor.............

I also have the Outdoorsmans pistol grip and really like it , but I would highly recommend the panning attatchment. It is a really nice set up and I have never felt fatigued using it. I also bit the bullet and bought their tripod this year and absolutely love it, even for the price. Good luck Josh

I purchased the outdoorsman pistol grip and didn't like it. It fatiqued my hand and by itself without the pan attachment didn't pan as easy as a good pan head. The pan head I have on all my tripods is the Bogen 3160 polycarbonate. It's not too heavy and does a fantastic job. It actually has a fluid in it that dampens it's movement. I've used the older style Jim White head and found that it actually does not have any fluid in it even though he calls it a fluid head. It did not pan as smoothly as the Bogen 3160. Jim Whites latest head is much better but cost's a bunch. Even though they don't make the Bogen 3160 any more you can find them on ebay for around $50.00. If you don't like it you can always get your $50.00 back on ebay. I have three of them.

I use the Jim White head and have used it for over three years without any issues--as far as panning goes, well, i can tell you i have not problem with the ability to pan as slow or as fast or be as incremental as i need to be with the head. The head is attached to the Outdoorsman Tripod--i love this tripod because it is built strong, it is light and i like the adjustments for the legs a lot better than my old Bogen tripod.

This setup is expensive but in the world of hunting i have found that you can waste a lot of money on so called great deals that are not what you want or you can pay the bucks and get something that will last a lifetime and you will never, ever, have to buy that particular hunting tool again. I also have two bino's i top the head with--one is a pair of Minox 15x58's and the others are the Swaro's 15x56's--both are quality glass that will last a lifetime. Oh, one other thing i like about the White head--the adapters--i have one on my spotting scope, on both pairs of big glass, on my camera and i have one on my window mount--very, very, easy to attach and are very well built.