GRONG

December 30th buck

Hello all, thought you'd enjoy a quick short story and some pictures of my latest hunt.

My buddy Andy Knowlton and I got into our stands on Friday morning with about 6-8" of fresh snow on the ground. It was a gorgeous morning to be in the woods and it was extremely quite which made it perfect for hunting. Andy at 150 yards away in his stand, around 8:30, called in a small spike to about 5 yards of the base of his tree with The Can, which is a doe bleat call. Shortly after that I saw a small doe, maybe even a fawn walk across the slope in front of me at about 70 yards. around 1PM the snow started to melt out of the tree tops and made for a noisy and wet experience so we decided to call it a day.

Next morning we woke to a bright sky and COLD temps for sure. We got to our stands earlier that morning and sat in the cold darkness for about a half hour before it started to get light. We waited with high hopes for something to happen and at 8:20 I had a lone doe come from behind me and pass by at 28 yards, loop around and walk away up the slope in front of me to my right. About a half hour later the same doe came walking back off the slope. I called Andy on the radio and told him what was going on. I had no sooner told Andy that I'd better grab my bow incase a buck was following her when here he came. He slowly followed the same path in the snow that she had gone and I knew he'd pass by at just over 30 yards through a shooting lane. He lightly grunted as he approached the opening in the trees and I was at full draw waiting for him. I shot as he walked thru and he jumped and ran about 20 yards then stopped. I knew I'd hit him but wasn't sure where and knocked another arrow. He stopped at what I thought was around 40-45 yards and I shot at him again. This time the arrow went right under his belly. Knocked another arrow and took my time and shot again under his belly! Finally I put my 50 yard pin on him and hit him in the spine and put him to the ground. I got down from my treestand and snuck up to about 25 yards and shot my last arrow and hit him in the spine again! What a loser I am, guess I was just way to excited! This time I found myself out of arrows so I walked a few steps to where I had shot the first time and there was my arrow stuck in the snow. It was fine so I knocked it and finished the buck off with a double lung shot finally. My archery skills weren't as good as I'd planned it but when you're excited and nervous I guess that can happen sometimes. Anyway I hope you all can view the pictures and I've included one of the same buck visiting a salt lick back in October.

post-3-1167608716_thumb.jpg

post-3-1167608806_thumb.jpg

post-3-1167608883_thumb.jpg

post-3-1167608919_thumb.jpg

post-3-1167609031_thumb.jpg

Thats almost as cool as the awesome looking bro in your avatar!!! Congrats, that's the ultimate getting one of them with a sharp stick even if you were in a tree ;) !!!!

Bret M.

Josh, Great story, If you were shooting a gun I'd wonder if you been taking shooting leassons from Casey? :unsure:

:ph34r: Casey, Purely for comedic value....

Nice Buck for sure! Congrats

Happy New Year!

Thats awesome! Great job and beautiful buck! Thanks for sharin' the story and pics! JIM>

Super Nice buck - Man you emptied the quiver - That's sticking within it!

Nice snow photos of the coues as well!

AzP&Y

Doug

You are the man. Great looking buck. Five shots for the price of one. Way to ventilate him. Congratulations.

Bob

Nice job Josh!!

And man, can you get a new avatar? I hate looking at that one! When was that pic taken?????

Amanda

Come on now Amanda that is the sexiest picture ever!!!!!!!!! It was taken about 10 years ago. I likes the way it spices up things. Kinda gets you in the mood you know.......... wink!

Thanks for all the nice comments you guys!

Kid Rock ain't got $hit on your Avatar!!! -LOL-

Congrats again on the Buck. My toes are still cold from that hunt dude.

Great buck! bad shooting, but good buck lol! great job Josh!!!

Josh, Great story, If you were shooting a gun I'd wonder if you been taking shooting leassons from Casey?

Casey, Purely for comedic value....

Nice Buck for sure! Congrats

Happy New Year!

this is correct, but what is a shooting leasson? ;)

About the avatar, I am just glad we could only see Josh’s' top knot. Josh, did you have the gorilla suit on? LOL

Fantastic buck and a perfect shot.

Any Coues with a bow is a feat in it's self , Thats a grate one. Congrats