Sign in to follow this  
ciomber

spotting scope or 15x56s

Wondering for my elk hunt this year if I should sell my 10x50 vortex vipers and upgrade to bigger mag of 15x56, or keep my 10x and buy a spotting scope. My thought process is less weight in pack with the bigger binos and still able to see alot of land with 15x on a tripod. Or should I keep the 10's for their field of view and grad a scope for long distance location? On the fence about this and wanted to see what you guys think.

15's aren't the best for elk. It depends on where you're hunting though. If you're trying to penetrate shadows to glass a bedded bull in a late Hunt in 23 or 27 etc then maybe, but for getting on a big hill and picking up ruttjng elk in the cedars 10's will find you more elk and a spotter will help you judge them better. Then you gotta look at what you're after. If its your first archery hunt and you're just looking for a branch antlered bull you'll be able to make that decision through your tens. If you have a early rifle tag and need to know if the last 3" is chipped off a bull at two miles then you'll need a spotter.

My two cents worth. Keep the binos and buy a compact spotting scope. I have been down that road. Had the 10-42/15/56/and spotting scope. Have an 8-42 and the spotting scope now. In the woods the 8-42 if great, in the open the 10s and 15s are great as is the spotting scope. I spend most of my elk hunting time in the woods or juniper. If I am long range glassing I can see the elk or deer with the 8s then pull out the spotting scope. I have a pretty big Swaro scope. If I did it again I would go with a more compact scope.

Steve

I have a few pairs of binos, including a pair of 10x50s and I don't use them much. I prefer 10x for most of Arizona but in a 32 or 42mm objective lens. I have a full size spotter and have my hesitations about the wisdom in investing in a compact spotter. Last year I killed a 140" muley in an easy to draw unit that had road hunters swarming like sharks in the sea. There was even an RV camp of hunters less than 1,000 yards from where this bachelor herd was going back and forth in the brush. All of which I could easily pattern and they had no clue about. That's the value in powerful optics. I don't see how a compact spotter is going to pick that up. Even though I spend more time behind my binoculars than my spotter, if you can only afford HD quality optics in one, make it in the spotting scope. I'd rather not waste time carrying the weight of a non HD spotter. The higher magnification of the spotting scope will amplify imperfections in the glass such as lateral color fringing that make determining a buck from a doe difficult at 1,500+ yards, if you can see them at all.

I started out with a set of 10x42 Swarovski el's and a 60 power spotting scope (non HD). Thinking i would use the 10's and have the spotter if needed with a tripod. I hated the spotter because closing one eye and spotting gave me a headache. Could do it only for short periods of time. Traded my scope for the 15's and I love them. Can set and look through those things for hours. That was quite a few years ago and if I could I would get the new 12x50 el's. I will say there have been a few times I wish I had the scope. Trying to figure out how big a buck was at 1500' yards. At the end of the day you need all of them at some point, but for high country elk the 10's are all you need. I agree with Xnt on the small spotter. No need for it in my opinion.

I've never used my 15's on an elk hunt. Sheep hunt is a whole 'nother ball of wax. I have 3 sets of binos. 7x35 are generally around my neck. I also have some 10x50's and some 15x56 depending on what and where I'm hunting I'll put either of those in my pack with a tripod. If I bring the 10's I usually leave the other two at home. I don't have a spotting scope. I rarely feel undergunned with glass with the exception of field judging animals from a long ways off. For simply locating critters, I'm set. For elk woods I'd go for a pair of 8's or smaller. For more open country maybe larger.

I have a unit 7e tag archery, also plan to hunt early archery deer same unit.

No reason to change to 15s for that tag. 10s will work great. If you do get a spotting scope don't waste your money on a cheap one.

• Like 1

I run the compact vortex razor hd spotter 11-33x50. Great optic. ill glass with my talon hd 10x. Then if I really need to reach out or start picking shadows mid-day.barley notice I have the spotter. If weight is priority I'd definitely take a look through one. for a 50mm objective it gathers light great. Glass is clear from edge to edge. I can post up some digiscope pix if u you'd like

• Like 1

I use 15s in that unit, works great, i dont hunt the pines there though.. I havnet once used a spotting scope in there but still carry it around. 15's are the way to go imo, especially since you have both eyes to use. The only reason a spotter is nice is to try to judge animals within 10-20" of what they really are.

• Like 2

No reason to change to 15s for that tag. 10s will work great. If you do get a spotting scope don't waste your money on a cheap one.

X1

I appreciate the input, I checked out the vortex viper 15x50, sweet compact 15's and about the same weight as my other binocs, also checked out the vultures 15x56, nice optic quality but bulky and heavy compared to the viper, I will have to check the razor compact scope. I appreciate the input on the need for only 10's on that hunt, i think I will keep em for the versatility they offer.

I use 15s in that unit, works great, i dont hunt the pines there though.. I havnet once used a spotting scope in there but still carry it around. 15's are the way to go imo, especially since you have both eyes to use. The only reason a spotter is nice is to try to judge animals within 10-20" of what they really are.

what 15's you running?