have2bhuntn

Horn growth

I am interested in everyone's opinion on drought and if it effects horn growth. It has probably been a topic before but didn't see it.

I think I have definitely seen a difference between wet and dry year but heard people say it doesn't matter. I have some old audio tapes of Hunter Wells, on the mule deer section he claims the bucks will be bigger in drought do to all the minerals going to the top of the vegetation. Is that a reasonable argument?

I'm on the side that the more water they have the better the horn growth.

I to believe water plays a huge role in antler growth especially critical months from late March into early June. I think a late winter helps with the feed and vegetation as well...like getting snow in February or early March... I have googled and searched a lot on this topic, I know one of the outfiiters that sponsor this site do have a lil intell on predicted conditions for 2014..... NOW... I really extremely want to know how drought conditions affect horn growth on COUES.... I have heard many different aspects on this subject but cannot seem to find a narrative or publication that any survey has been conducted as far as coues deer in drought conditions... I know they are extremely adaptable to harsh hot conditions etc, but targeting the antler growth is what concerns me...if anyone knows any info would be appreciated

here is some research on midwest whitetails....

refer to the suggested sites for further info on nutrition.

pretty cool info

http://extension.missouri.edu/p/g9486

James

• Like 1

Age and genetics aside, antler growth is mostly a function of the amount of digestible protein in the diet, along with adequate levels (at least 1.5%) of calcium and phosphorus at approximately a 2:1 ratio. Higher levels of digestible protein produce larger antlers, as long as soils are not mineral deficient.

• Like 4

I do believe that water in May and June is critical to horn growth for Bighorn Sheep and Pronghorn Antelope.

Water is also necessary for ANTLER growth in Mule Deer, elk and Coues WT Deer during the same months!

Just my thoughts...

280rem

This is a very interesting topic to me. There have been a few discussions on it before. Elk and Mule deer seem to be really affected for antler size depending on the moisture. I am not that into elk so I don't know much about them. They grow sooo much antler though I think they are the most affected. Mule Deer I have some more experience with. It always seems like on super wet years everyone expects them to grow huge and they don't do that much different then a normal wet year. It REALLY DOES SEEM to have something to do with the plants and how they distribute the nutrients. I have had many conversations about it this with Matt Shimberg from A3 Trophy Hunts and he has had just as much discussion with people all over the US. Particularly info that he passed on to me was from Jack Brittingham, and his ranches in Texas. With out going way into detail Jack seemed to notice the same. That really really wet years the deer didn't seem to grow as big of antlers as was expected. You would think tons of food, BIG ANTLERS. On more consistent average years he noticed the best antler growth. With Coues deer I haven't noticed that it makes a huge difference in antler size but more so affects antler DENSITY. On really dry years their antlers almost seem like balsa wood. I also notice lots of broken antlers on dry years. On wet years the antlers are really dense and heavy and we don't see as many deer with broken antlers. My 2 cents in a nutshell!

• Like 1

i think when its dry animals have to vary their diet more and also eat closer to the ground and into the dirt which equates to more minerals, also water sources are smaller and churned up with dirt and this also equates to more minerals, i think in dryer years they seek out natural salt and minerals in rocks and dirt as well to help in water retension so my 2 cents is we will have record racks this year. wish i had an elk tag.

i will say there is some pretty nice growth on the elk even for a dry spring, only god nose

i think when its dry animals have to vary their diet more and also eat closer to the ground and into the dirt which equates to more minerals, also water sources are smaller and churned up with dirt and this also equates to more minerals, i think in dryer years they seek out natural salt and minerals in rocks and dirt as well to help in water retension so my 2 cents is we will have record racks this year. wish i had an elk tag.

One year I was in 32 and watched a doe get on her front knees and was eating something. When she left I hiked over there and she had been chewing on the exposed roots of a creosote that had been all dug up like Javelina will do.

One angle people don't seem to mention is how the buck or bull fared through the winter. If winter ends and they didn't use up all their reserves and he is very healthy with even dry conditions, he should grow what would be normal. Now add wet conditions when feed is maxed they will grow more yet tend to be more brittle. Idk, just a thought cause even in bad drought years when most bulls or bucks show signs of drought there are still some that grow giant. Those critters have figured it out, it just might be how they wintered.

• Like 1

I agree an winter being a factor as well and remember this year we had great monsoon up north then a mild winter and now a good monsoon and green up yet again. Can't wait to see some just out of velvet elk pics this year.

• Like 1