Adicted

Would you take your kids to hunt down south?

Would you take your kids to hunt Coues down South?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take your kids down South to Hunt Coues with the known risks involving Drug/illegal traffic

• yes without hesitation
    • yes but really nervous
    • yes but no camping out
    • no, not worth the headache and worries

Your fine. Hunt Quail and Duck throughout So. Az. with my 12 yr old never an issue during those seasons, From the past 6 years that i've started rifle hunting again, I have seen 0 Illegals, 0 pack mules, but have found evidence of their presence that was years old. I hunt in a supposed corridor area 36c and just shake my head at the way the Bp tear up everything looking for Their enemies. Hauling you now what down the road, Helicopter buzzing at night, Drones quietly overhead. Every single time i stop and ask them what was goin on last night same response, We were chasing but didn't find anyone or anything. I'm still waiting for them to barrel in and start something with our group, We're all American Mexicans with guns/tags, I'm more worried about a rookie Bp with an itchy trigger finger when i'm out there, Just my opinion from an American Mexican Hunter.

• Like 1

Your fine. Hunt Quail and Duck throughout So. Az. with my 12 yr old never an issue during those seasons, From the past 6 years that i've started rifle hunting again, I have seen 0 Illegals, 0 pack mules, but have found evidence of their presence that was years old. I hunt in a supposed corridor area 36c and just shake my head at the way the Bp tear up everything looking for Their enemies. Hauling you now what down the road, Helicopter buzzing at night, Drones quietly overhead. Every single time i stop and ask them what was goin on last night same response, We were chasing but didn't find anyone or anything. I'm still waiting for them to barrel in and start something with our group, We're all American Mexicans with guns/tags, I'm more worried about a rookie Bp with an itchy trigger finger when i'm out there, Just my opinion from an American Mexican Hunter.

Wow! Viva la re conquista!?!?! More afraid of the bp than chapo? Fairly certian the cartel killed 30k + civilians in the last 5 years. How many have the bp killed?

• Like 3

30k in Az, No Az Softie I'm just stating the Facts over the last 6 years all that stuff is from south of our units. Have you been threw a Bp checkpoint lately? The Guys asking questions are Ready to Fire even if you kick a rock getting outta the truck,,,,Just keep yourself in the Valley of the Meth,,,and hunt the Matazals and hope you don't run into a Meth Lab!!!

Honestly, the majority of BP agents I run into are "American Mexicans" and are good folks who don't want to kill me? I've never felt threatened or belittleled by them either. Should i?? Usually I stop them at the gas station or store and ask questions about the area, I've never felt like I was waiting their time (probably am but they never act like it) oh, and I know know some white agents too, which race of American should I worry more about because I'm confused?

• Like 1

Never meant to say that they would kill me, It's just the way they have been acting lately doesn't matter what Creed they are. Look, The legalization of Hippie weed in some states and medicinal in others has taken a big hit to the cartels down south. They don't know what to do, And If you don't believe it there is a qouta among all border agencies to produce Busts,,,,Less Weed More Pressure!

Lets go back to the original question. As always it gets "heated" for no reason. If you've never been to the southern units you can't chime in! He asked a simple question so help the guy out

Never meant to say that they would kill me, It's just the way they have been acting lately doesn't matter what Creed they are. Look, The legalization of Hippie weed in some states and medicinal in others has taken a big hit to the cartels down south. They don't know what to do, And If you don't believe it there is a qouta among all border agencies to produce Busts,,,,Less Weed More Pressure!

I'm sure medical marihuana hasn't touched the drug runs, I have no proof but I'm guessing it might be 1% I'm not saying you can run around southern AZ like Lenny or simple jack, I'm just saying, like everyone else has said, it's not as bad and TV makes it sound (for a hunter)
  • Like 1

Lets go back to the original question. As always it gets "heated" for no reason. If you've never been to the southern units you can't chime in! He asked a simple question so help the guy out

I live in the southern units and see evidence all the time but haven't ever had trouble that I wasn't able to handle or avoid.
  • Like 1

As posted before, I only hunt south of Tucson including 33, 37A&B because I never get drawn for Elk any more. Now I have encountered both illegals and mules and every time they pick up their pace and continue on their way. what I mean by encountered is they saw me and I saw them. In most cases all they want is to get to their destination unmolested either by us hunters or by BP. Come down here and enjoy what the wilds of Southern Arizona has to offer.

I have hunted down in 36B and C now for the last 20 years or so, since I was 12. I have never had anyone mess with any of my stuff or take any of my food or water, and I always leave some in plain sight. I have seen illegals only 3 or 4 times, 1 dead body(the only time I ever hunted in 36A), 1 long since abandoned bundle of marijuana and plenty of evidence of them being there. That's it. That being said, I do not camp down there alone, I always go with a family member or friend, I always carry a sidearm and I am always very aware of what's going on around me. There definitely is a different feel than if you're a non-border unit like 24A. I really want to do a backpack hunt in the Baboquivaris but I'll admit I'm too uneasy(afraid) to go do it by myself. Anyone want to go with me???

And to answer the original question. Yes, I will take my kids down there when they are old enough to hunt, without hesitation.

I can tell you, for 110% certainty there is no such thing as a 'quota'.

a few years ago, i guess that i was like 9 or 10

my dad and i were hunting in 36a for javelina in the spring. we hiked up this giant peak, and i happened to look back at the truck (which was still in sight from the top of this hill) and i saw this purple thing sitting in the ground in the shade of our truck. i thought i left a bag outside of the truck! i couldnt tell what it was with my 8x binos..... my dad looked and it was an illegal sitting in the shade of out truck with his water jug next to him.... we watched this guy walk around our truck checking to see if any doors were unlocked and he even stroked the inside of the bumpers and the tops of the tires, looking for the keys!!! we also watched him as he cupped his hands around his eyes as he peered thru the windows looking for valuables that would be worth him breaking in..... my dad was yelling at him from hundreds of yards away and he definitely heard my dad, but still persisted... so my dad fired a few shots into a tree near the truck.....sometime in all these events we called bp and gave them our coordinates....

not 5 minutes before bp arrived, the guy took off. the officer insisted on us coming off the hill so that he could distinguish our tracks from the illegals (which was ok because our hunt was blown anyways....).

the officer tracked the guy (without dogs) and caught him........

i believe in bp, and that they try their darnedest to catch these illegals,

i always am hunting in the 36s and always will..... this event didnt scare me, it taught me to be more aware/cautious and to respect the fact that if i want to hunt down south that the illegals are part o the equation and i need to adapt to it in order to stay safe...

just my .02

I have hunted down in 36B and C now for the last 20 years or so, since I was 12. I have never had anyone mess with any of my stuff or take any of my food or water, and I always leave some in plain sight. I have seen illegals only 3 or 4 times, 1 dead body(the only time I ever hunted in 36A), 1 long since abandoned bundle of marijuana and plenty of evidence of them being there. That's it. That being said, I do not camp down there alone, I always go with a family member or friend, I always carry a sidearm and I am always very aware of what's going on around me. There definitely is a different feel than if you're a non-border unit like 24A. I really want to do a backpack hunt in the Baboquivaris but I'll admit I'm too uneasy(afraid) to go do it by myself. Anyone want to go with me???

If you are serious about the backpack hunt, I'm game.