Sign in to follow this  
BowHuntAZ

Any Fishing recommendations in Maui for honeymoon

Buy a couple of pole spears and and snorkel gear and have a blast "bowhunting" reef fish around the rocks. For free. And you get to eat the fish, unlike the Hawaii charters who usually claim all the fish for themselves.

Buy a couple of pole spears and and snorkel gear and have a blast "bowhunting" reef fish around the rocks. For free. And you get to eat the fish, unlike the Hawaii charters who usually claim all the fish for themselves.

That sounds like a cool idea! Any license requirements that you know of? Think I'll inquire on this when I rent or buy snorkel gear next week!

S.

:)

*Edited title to bring topic back to Fishing*

Thanks for all of the great input everyone. Keep 'em coming. We're in Kauai for a week and then Maui for a week, so we'll have plenty of time to relax, explore and per Pine Donkey's request... lots of hanky panky.

I've been to Maui a couple of times and fished there once but it was a company trip so I don't have info on the charter we used, not that fishing was that good then anyways. We're already bracing for the huge hit the wallet will take but it's gonna be worth it.

Someone on here has to have been fishing in Maui...

Don't know about the fishing but make sure in maui you go into lahaina and eat breakfast at cheeseburger in pardise. And Lahaina Fish company for dinner. And in kauai if you make it to the west side near princeville go into that shopping center there and there is a little mexican restaurant that has the best breakfast burritos on the planet.

• Like 1

I would go after Mahi - She will probably enjoy that more. If a marlin comes along great.

If you just want her to catch some fish consider Kauai Bass fishing

http://www.sportfishhawaii.com/bassfishing.htm

I definitely think Mahi will be on the top of our list if we go out on a boat. I caught a wahoo last time I fished out of Maui and a couple of tuna too. Roughest seas I had ever been on, waves crashing over the top deck of our boat (10'+ over the lower level) I don't get sea sick but that trip i actually lost my lunch, but was instantly better after that. I hope the weather holds out when we're there so it doesn't ruin her for life and make her never want to go back out deepsea again.

I fished from shore about 10 years ago in both maui and kauai and did good in Kauai. I caught a bunch of hammerhead sharks in Kauai off of a dike that went out a little bit. Was a Blast

Did you rent tackle or bring your own?

Awesome ideas to fish for peacock bass, spearfishing (just gotta find out the rules) and shark fishing.

Don't know about the fishing but make sure in maui you go into lahaina and eat breakfast at cheeseburger in pardise. And Lahaina Fish company for dinner. And in kauai if you make it to the west side near princeville go into that shopping center there and there is a little mexican restaurant that has the best breakfast burritos on the planet.

Keep the food recommendations coming too. \We plan on eating our way around each island. Love trying new food at different places.

Thanks for all the great stuff so far!!!

Hope you like spam.

This seemed worse in maui than kauai. Gotta love mcdonalds that instead of hash browns you get a slab of spam

Hope you like spam.

Haha ya I've heard that's their delicacy. We'll stick to the fresh seafood and other non canned goods.

I would go after Mahi - She will probably enjoy that more. If a marlin comes along great.

I definitely think Mahi will be on the top of our list if we go out on a boat. I caught a wahoo last time I fished out of Maui and a couple of tuna too. Roughest seas I had ever been on, waves crashing over the top deck of our boat (10'+ over the lower level) I don't get sea sick but that trip i actually lost my lunch, but was instantly better after that. I hope the weather holds out when we're there so it doesn't ruin her for life and make her never want to go back out deepsea again.

I fished from shore about 10 years ago in both maui and kauai and did good in Kauai. I caught a bunch of hammerhead sharks in Kauai off of a dike that went out a little bit. Was a Blast

Awesome ideas to fish for peacock bass, spearfishing (just gotta find out the rules) and shark fishing.

Keep the food recommendations coming too. \We plan on eating our way around each island. Love trying new food at different places.

Oh forgot in kauai if you go down to poipu beach there is a town called koloa. when you come off of the 5o to 520 it t's at koloa and you go right to go to poilu beach. At the t there is a place called pizzetta. Great cocktails and some of the best pizza and pasta on the planet.

We're going to be in Maui at the end of October this year and are planning on booking a 1 day deep sea fishing charter. Private boat, with no other people, just us so we have the best chances of actually catching something. I know October is considered the off season but there's always a chance to catch something.

If any of you guys have been fishing out of Maui before and have charter recommendations I'd appreciate some info. Good or bad reviews, I'd like to hear before making a decision.

I've been looking into "Maui Sportfishing Charters" and have a couple of boats in mind but maybe someone on here can help narrow it down.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I WENT TO MAUI LAST YEAR. PAID BIG BUCKS FOR A FISHING TRIP AND ALL I GOT WAS BURNED AND DRUNK. THEY RIP YOU OFF CUZ ALL THEY DO IS TROLL AROUND FOR 3 HOURS AND CHANGE BAITS TO MAKE IT LOOK GOOD. WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN. I WILL SAY THE BOAT ABOUT 3 MILES BEHIND US CAUGHT A 300LB SHARK AND THAT WAS ALL I HEARD OF BEING CAUGHT. GOOD LUCK. I PICKED THE BOAT THAT WAS RECOMMENDED BY EVERYONE ALSO.

I agree with desertbull. no good fishing there and it's wayyyy overpriced. also. hit the golf courses for happy hours. it's the best way to drink cheap if you drink.

1 other note. everyone does the road to hana. it is 6-8 hours of driving with a few nice spots to see. Traffic is brutal and there really are no places to pull over on the road to take pics. save you time and money for something better. Just saying. Also Bubba Gumps was an absolute blast and the food was great. check it out for sure.

save the money you'd spend on 2 days fishing in hawaii and use that money to go to mexico. you can get flight, room, and 2 days fishing there for the same cost. might even have spare cash for beer.

I have been deep sea fishing in Hawaii twice and both times we struck out. prices are higher than in MX. $1K vs $400. Just went down to San Carlos over Memorial Day. Fished two days. Caught 2 marlin, a shark, 2 dorado, lost 2 dorado and lost a sail fish, missed another bill fish and got bit off by a wahoo. Also, 1.5 day trips out of San Diego this August for tuna should be very good thanks to El Nino. Puerto Vallarta this summer and fall should be great for tuna.

Mexico is definitely out of the question. We already have Hawaii hotels booked and this isn't just a fishing trip, it's also a 2 week long vacation with a day or two of fishing. I wish I was going to SD for Tuna this year, should be good this year. We hit it once before on a hot year and over stuffed the boat's freezer. We were literally gaffing 100# plus tunas at the back of the boat when they were boiling, didn't even need fishing line or bait.

I'm also looking into Kauai deep sea fishing as a possibility too. I've never had a great experience fishing from Maui. I wonder if Kauai is any better, maybe less fished out since it's a smaller more remote island?

Mexico is definitely out of the question. We already have Hawaii hotels booked and this isn't just a fishing trip, it's also a 2 week long vacation with a day or two of fishing. I wish I was going to SD for Tuna this year, should be good this year. We hit it once before on a hot year and over stuffed the boat's freezer. We were literally gaffing 100# plus tunas at the back of the boat when they were boiling, didn't even need fishing line or bait.

I'm also looking into Kauai deep sea fishing as a possibility too. I've never had a great experience fishing from Maui. I wonder if Kauai is any better, maybe less fished out since it's a smaller more remote island?

What boat were you on in SD that caught all the tuna? I always use the "Prowler" Awesome Capt and we slaughter the tuna and dorado.