Sign in to follow this  
WHALE

When they close the tonto forest?

Do they give any warning (it will close in a week) or do they just close it?

Can't remember how it works.

A few years ago, we were boat camped at Apache Lake, next thing we know, the Sheriff came by boat to tell us (and everyone else not in the designated campgrounds) that the forest was closed and we either had to leave or move to the campground, no one allowed on shoreline. We ended up living on our pontoon boat. He came back by and was angry I had tied a rope to a tree, made me remove it and reminded me not to be/go on shore. :o

It depends on their PR department. Sometimes it will be preceded by a news release a day or two before. Two years ago, which is probably the year Couestracker is referring to, it hit the news the night before they closed it. I remember because I had several bears patterned for my archery bear tag and had my truck loaded and ready for the next morning. When I was finally able to go back in a month later I saw that on the day the forest closed I had three bears come to water before noon!

For what it's worth, the first day of a closure is almost always Friday. I highly doubt they will close it before the holiday weekend, but wouldn't be surprised if they close it before the next weekend.

AZGFD announced yesterday that Prescott and Tonto starting Stage II fire restrictions on Friday. Unfortunately I'm sure there will be lots of folks ignoring the restriction or who aren't aware.

I was planning to hit Apache this weekend. This post caused me to call the rangers office. The lady on the phone made it sound like there is a fire restriction, but they would not close down access to the lake.

What does phase 2 fire restrictions mean. Does that mean access is closed down? I have 300 pounds of salt to put out

• Like 1

What does phase 2 fire restrictions mean. Does that mean access is closed down? I have 300 pounds of salt to put out

Stage II and elevated fire restrictions have been issued for Prescott National Forest and Tonto National Forest. The following activities will be prohibited in these forests as of May 23:

• Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire or campfire
  • Smoking, except in an enclosed vehicle or building
  • Possessing, using or discharging fireworks or pyrotechnic device
  • Discharging a firearm, except during a lawful hunt
  • Using explosives
  • Operating chainsaws or equipment with internal combustion engines between the hours of 1 p.m. and 1 a.m.
  • Using internal or external combustion engines without properly installed, approved, working spark arrestors
  • Welding and use of acetylene or other torches with open flame
  • Using or operating motor vehicles off forest system roads, except when parking within 10 feet of a road where there is no brush or vegetation, or overnight parking in developed campgrounds and trailheads

Stage II and elevated fire restrictions have been issued for Prescott National Forest and Tonto National Forest. The following activities will be prohibited in these forests as of May 23:

• Using explosives
  • Operating chainsaws or equipment with internal combustion engines between the hours of 1 p.m. and 1 a.m.
  • Using internal or external combustion engines without properly installed, approved, working spark arrestors
  • Using or operating motor vehicles off forest system roads, except when parking within 10 feet of a road where there is no brush or vegetation, or overnight parking in developed campgrounds and trailheads

Operating chainsaws or equipment with internal combustion engines between the hours of 1 p.m. and 1 a.m

I would love to meet the idiot that came up with this one. What difference does it make what time it is?

• Like 3

• Using explosives

Operating chainsaws or equipment with internal combustion engines between the hours of 1 p.m. and 1 a.m

I would love to meet the idiot that came up with this one. What difference does it make what time it is?

I would assume that it has something to do with the amount of dew on the ground or amount of humidity typically present at those times.