Sign in to follow this  
Kilimanjaro

Nov. unit 33

Hey guys, I've been lurking around this site for awhile now and figured I'd finally throw out a post or two. I know many of you from the MonsterMuleys forum, so not everyone here is a stranger. To the rest, I just want to say hello. Anyway, I guess that you figured out that I drew the aformentioned tag for this fall. I have been in the unit a number of times Mearns quail hunting up in the Catalinas and have seen alot of deer and a few good bucks. But, I've never been up into the Rincons. I've heard that they hold some good bucks if you know where to go. So, my question to all of you is -- if you have any info on this unit and hunt, any you can spare would be gratly appriciated. I am not looking to kill the next world record, just a good, respectable buck that I would be proud to hang my 1st AZ tag on!

Thank you and good luck to all of you this fall,

Scottyboy

Scottyboy,

I wish I could help you, but I have no knowledge of 33 :lol: . I am assuming you have been to the g&f website and have looked at the hunt unit report.

Doug/RedRabbit

It all depends on who draws the tags but the Game and Fish site is dead on the money for info and spots in that unit. Some years certain spots get very crowded and that makes it tough, but then the next year they are deserted. It is my favorite unit to hunt because there are alot of places where you can easily get away from roads and see alot of deer every day. I would try walking into the more remote sections of Reddington pass first. Alot of roads go in and end both to the North of the Bellota Ranch and down on the Rincon side as well. Scouting is always the best and doing it close to the hunt will be far more valuable than anything you can get from G&F or anyone on the internet. Don't be afraid to relocate if a ton of guys show up opening day in the spot you wanted to hunt, almost the whole unit has lots of coues in it, even the burns. We killed a nice 80 inch deer in the Bullock burn the year it burned, the deer didn't care it had burned 3 months prior. Good luck and post some pics if you get one, I love seeing unit 33 deer.

Bret M.

I've been fortunate enough to hunt parts of the unit. A good topo map is going to be important alot of the Rincon's is part of the Saguaro National Monument. Goes clear down the eastside. Happy Valley(Turkey Creek area) will have alot of hunters but most never got but about 1/2 mile from the roads. There is some private property just north of Happy Valley so the road pretty much dies right there. We have tried to contact the land owner in the past for access, but to no avail. Usually 1 or 2 guided camps in the area as well. I harvested an 85" coues in 33 and a day later we spotted up a bachelor herd of 7 coues bucks. One was a keeper. My brother got onto him late that afternoon and made a great shot. He grossed 108". A year later I flirted with a 95" buck for an entire afternoon. He decided to spend that day about 100 yards inside the Monument fence and would never cross over. Of course his forked horn friend like to jump back and forth but not him. Even though there may be lots of camps on the backside of the Rincons, like I said, most of the hunters I observed never got far from the road, so If you are willing to wear out your boots, you can get into some unbothered animals. Good hunting.

Trufletch

Scottboy,

For the last three years I have hunted in 33. 2 for 3 (i missed three bucks the year I did not tag). I have seen big bucks (some with tags, some running wild, but I have never had the opportunity to tag one).

I like three areas. 1. Bueman Cayon (which is in the Rincons around mile post 15 on the Redington Pass RD) 2. Happy Valley exit 297 off I-10 3. Pepersauce Area buy Oracle.

As trufletch mention go 2-3 ridges from the road, and you will not find but a few hunters.

I suggest scouting all three, then driving the roads during the Oct hunt, you will see where the majority of people congregate.

If you need more information on any three of the areas above areas let me know. I drew a 32 nov tag this year, my nephrew drew his first tag in 33 in Oct, so we will be doing plenty of scouting.

Redman

Happy Valley has been getting hammered by hunters for the past 2-3 years. I used to go down there on opening morning and see 1-2 other hunters the whole day. Now it is a zoo. I think all the people that used to hunt up high, moved down there after all the fires. Try the mountains to the east of Turkey Creek campground. Most people follow one of the trails toward the park boundry, but if you head east instead, you'll have less people. Be careful, lot's of muleys in there too.

Jeff

Thanks guys for the replys. The areas off Reddington pass is where I was seeing Coues buks every time I was up there Mearns hunting. As for the other potential area mentioned, I;m going to be wearing out alot of boot leather in search of that 100 incher this fall!!! I'll see ya'll out there,

Scottyboy

Guest Guest

One last good place is molino basin.try there and you're sure to get a nice one.Molino leads you to the back of the ranch where we've seen two 90 class bucks that got to be bigger now.expect allot of bikers and hikers that look at you in real mean ways but pay no attention to them because the deer seem to be there.remember to pay your fee to park there.GOOD LUCK great area.

Scottyboy,

My brother missed a buck that had to be close to 115", a really wide and tall 4x4, a couple of years ago with his bow in January near Three Feathers tank. Its closer to Tucson and a lot lower than the rest of the Reddington, but its another option. If you could I would try to get on the back side of Agua Caliente hill. Its pretty steep and rugged and full of shin dagger which will keep most people out of the area.

Dodger

How do you get to the back side of agua caliente hill? I always wanted to check it out but I cant find a way up in there without going through private property

Tequila tank will put you on the back side of Aqua Caliente Hill. The road is #4436 but is not marked from the main redington road, but the the road is located on a curve and kind of goes up hill and is easy to drive by. You will need a 4X4 and there are a couple of steep hills to climb. Get the the "Aqua Caliente Hill" and "Piety Hill" 7.5 quad maps.

Scottyboy, I have hunted 33 extensively over the years and agree with Bullwigeon that you have to be willing to get away from the roads. A couple of years ago I had a 33 tag and hunted mainly in the Happy Valley area. The roads were crowded and full of camps, but hiking in a few miles allowed me to see plenty of deer including a couple of monsters. I passed up 53 bucks that year. The peppersauce area has some good bucks too. Most of the hunters stay where the hiking is easy, but if you're patient, there are some good ones up there.

Back to the happy valley area....try checking out the little rincons to the east. Access is limited and most of the hunters won't hike in very far. I agree with Redman that driving the roads during the October hunt can be beneficial. Most of the hunters during the Nov hunt will probably be in the same general area, and alot of spots are overlooked. I've seen these overlooked pockets hold lots of deer that have been pushed 1 or 2 ridges away from the masses.

Good Luck!

Gunho Coues Nut

Scottyboy,

I have drawn tags for both Nov and Oct, and have seen good numbers of deer on both. One area that I hunted that did not seem to have to many hunters was the lower end of pepper sauce passed the mount lemon control road. Me and my hunting partner saw a buck in there that would have gone 100-105 inches. Good luck and Hunt hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kingof coues

Thanks boys for all the replys. Sounds like I got more info. than I know what to do with!!I am going to give it another month or so to cool off a bit and start scouting for sure. I am headed to unit 27 in a month to try and bag me a nice bruin and get my mountain legs underneath me for this fall.

On a side note, while all of y'all are out this fall in the hills looking for bucks, keep a sharp eye out for some coveys of Mearns for me!! I, honestly, would almost rather get out there and chase those birds any day over a buck! Now don't get me wrong boys, I love a good buck as much as the rest, but I have a passion for quail hunting behind my dogs. So, if you happen to come across a fair # of them somewhere out there, don't forget about me!!! Again, thanks for the info. It will be used.

Scottyboy