My buddy & I are planning on putting in for the Sand Hill Crane hunt. We know nothing about hunting them. Does anyone know of a guide service we could hire. Thanks!

Adam

Sandhill cranes are tasty. Don't know a guide but after hunting them multiple times, I'd recommend hiring a guide. If I could find a guide (licensed) with a lease I'd be all over it.

Shoot lead, not held to shoot steel like waterfowl. Big lead like BB. Best of luck.

Guest akaspecials

Although we have the sandhill hunt in AZ, if you are looking for the guided experience I'd suggest looking to Texas. There are a few outfits that are easy to get to in the panhandle that will have amazing decoys (i.e. lifesize taxidermy decoys). I've never done the Texas hunt, but have heard great things from those that have chased the "Ribeye of the Sky" there.

I would double check the lead thing, I've hunted them in 2 states and 2 Canadian provinces and always had to shoot non toxic shot. As far as decoys go, full body stuffers will decoy them right in, anything less they'll flare at 100 yards every time. This doesn't rule out decoys though, find a place they like to be (in ND it's whatever grain field they were in the night before) and set out 8-10 plywood cut outs. They don't have to look good. Get 150 yards downwind of them in some type of GOOD cover (tree row, fence line etc). I've been devoying cranes in ND for 20 years this way. We can shoot 3 a day here. Better yet fly up here. It's an easy DIY hunt as no one hunts them here. Mid oct anywhere in central ND will have cranes.

No non-tox shot needed

craneregs.pdf

Unlike waterfowl which clearly states the requirement for non-tox

waterfowlregs.pdf

What units are you putting in for?

I don't know what unit to apply for. That's why I was hoping to find a guide who could suggest the right unit.

I joined my buddy on the 2nd hunt in November south of Wlllcox last year, he took a Crane on that hunt and in '12.

There were a lot of birds on the later hunt, mostly high flyers. You can pattern them and get out in the dark and try to shoot them as they come off their beds to feed early, or set up where they feed and hope to get a shot.

If you do pull a tag after the first hunt it looked like the cranes we saw were smart enough to avoid decoys, but it might be a good move on the first hunt before they are all shot up and wise.

It was really cool to see and hear the birds in the air, there were literally hundreds of them. You might be able to pull a leftover if you didn't get to put in for them.

Steven Ward of Wards Outfitters knows some good sandhill crane spots...you might contact him.

Knowing Wards Outfitters is based in Wilcox, I emailed them two years ago expressing interest in a crane hunt but got no response.

Still looking for a guide. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.