ready2hunt

Official New World Record Grizzly

Its not exactly "NEW" news but it gets my blood pumping for bear season again. I hope I get drawn for deer and look forward to elk season but its all about the bears for me now.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/field-notes/2014/05/boone-and-crockett-club-new-record-grizzly-taken-alaska

post-8413-0-90308700-1402693957_thumb.png

I agree with you %100. I love Bear season!!!!!! I'm dreaming of wrapping my tag around a HUGE Cinnamon this fall.

That bear in your avatar looks like a long, lanky bear that is big but didn't have time to fatten. Can we see him? Looks like a good un'.

^ Might not be the heaviest bear but those old long ones have the biggest heads!!

Also, since when did Larry Fitzgerald bleach his skin and start hunting???

• Like 1

I started to get the bear itch last year when I missed a cinnamon on my Coues hunt. Still kicking myself for missing an easy shot on a sleeping bear. I'll probably never get such a nice set up again by accident. Haven't figured out how to start bear hunting but I know I'll be back where I missed last year once season opens to see if he's still around.

I started to get the bear itch last year when I missed a cinnamon on my Coues hunt. Still kicking myself for missing an easy shot on a sleeping bear. I'll probably never get such a nice set up again by accident. Haven't figured out how to start bear hunting but I know I'll be back where I missed last year once season opens to see if he's still around.

Where was the bear sleeping? In never noticed you? How far was the shot. So many questions...

BEAST!!

Where was the bear sleeping? In never noticed you? How far was the shot. So many questions...

I thought I had posted these pictures before but I'm not sure so here they are. Not a great bear but it's a bear and he appeared to be sleeping to me.

Here is the original picture I took.

post-4673-0-01314200-1403042651_thumb.jpg

Here is after I tried to enhance it a bit.

post-4673-0-15902600-1403042722_thumb.jpg

Here is pretty much the whole story about it. Probably too many details for an unsuccessful shot but oh well.

I had been glassing most the morning off the point of a dead end road that looked into some good country. Finally decided to head in a little deeper and get a different view around 1030 am. I got to the bottom and was gonna work my way up another ridge to glass down from when I caught movement up on the hill I had planned to glass. Pulled up my 10s to check the movement and it was a bear moving across the hill side but by the time I pulled up my rifle he was gone.

I wasn't sure what to do and figured he would drop down into the thick wash before I could get high enough to see him so I just sat down and tried varmint calling for 30 minutes. I got impatient and headed up the ridge to see if I could pick him back up.

Once I got to the top and started glassing it wasn't 10 minutes before I picked up the bear laying down in a fairly open spot. That's when the fever kicked in and I'm still kicking myself.

I spent a long time trying to steady my hand enough to find the bear in the range finder and get the yardage on him. Mistake one was not hooking the range to the tripod.

Once I was able to actually find him in the range I was getting several different numbers and just figured him at 500 yards.

Then I had to see if I could hold my scope steady to even get a shot which wasn't working out very well since I couldn't get over the excitement of taking my first shot at a bear. (Rookie I know)

Well I finally figured I was calm enough to let one fly and sent it down range. After the shot I found him in the same position and empty the other 2 rounds i had loaded in the rifle.

I couldn't tell where I hit and never seen the bear leave. I got back on the spotter and started searching but never turned him up. So I locked my spotter onto the yucca he was under and made a call to my dad and brother in Phoenix to come help me look for blood.

I hiked out to where I thought he was which and couldn't find anything. I marked the spot and started walking back to camp to meet them but left the spotter locked on that yucca.

When they arrived we made the hike and my dad stayed in the spotter to let us know when we got to the right spot. We went to where I had checked originally and it wasn't even close to where I was suppose to be.

Anyways, we finally made it to the bear bed and no blood. He headed down hill and we followed his track for about a quarter mile just incase and still no blood and the shot ended up only being about 400 yards. Should of been a chip shot and dead bear.

Pretty heart breaking but I learned a lot and plan to spend more time looking for bears to hopefully redeem myself.

Neat story. Hope you tag one this year. Were you calling by hand for the bear? Were you calling loud enough?

I think when I first seen him he was probably only a couple 100 yards. Didn't have a call with me so I was just doing lip squeaks with my hand so he probably never heard me.

I always mix up when the best season is to call for bear but thought it was the fall season. Is that correct?