My 13 year old daughter drew a cow tag in 4a got her a remington 700 in 7-08 installed chaote tactical stock now looking for any recipes to start with have reloader 15 and 17 and some 4350 and h-380?

Wondering if any body had any good loads to share she's shooting 139 grain Hornady sst thanks

If I were you, I would personally opt for a tougher bullet then the sst, but that's just me.

I would think 4350 & 4831 would get you where you need to be.

I'm still working on my load for my son's 7-08. I am in the neighborhood of 43 grains of IMR 4350 with 140 grain Bergers. I was about to give up on this combo because I couldn't get a group I liked at 100 yards. I was right around or slight over MOA, but expect better. I played around with it a bit and learned that Bergers really don't settle in till they get closer to 200 yards. Odd as it may sound, my groups are tighter at 200 yards than 100 yards with this combo. For me, MOA at 100 yards will get the job done all day when it only gets tighter as you push the shot out further.

The info below from Berger should give you a good starting place.

post-6408-0-67822500-1402771913_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The SST is a great elk round. 3 dead elk at 300, 600, and 600 agree. Might not be the best choice at 100 yds but none of the better bc bullets are.

I can get you the specifics if you are interested, but my daughter's 7mm-08 loves RL-15 with 140 gr Barnes TTSX. Just printed a 0.58" group with 97% max load last weekend. Savage Axis youth with Timney trigger at 3 lbs.

• Like 1

For 7mm-08 I either use varget or 4350. For the 139gr sst I use varget and for 150gr SMK I use 4350. I've never used RL15 or RL17. I would have to look at a burn rate chart but i think RL15 is about the same rate as 4350 and would probably work well. I think RL17 is closer to 4831 and i think it would be on the slow side for 7mm-08.

I'm sure the 139gr sst would work fine on elk but I think the nosler partition or barnes tsx or ttsx would be better suited. We almost lost an elk last year on my cousins youth elk hunt using a 160gr sierra game king from a 7mm-08. I've killed 6 deer and one bear with sierra game kings and my dad has killed many deer, elk, and bear with sierra game kings so the bullet is capable of getting the job done but I think the nosler or the barnes is better suited for the job on elk.

I've used a combo of 45.5gr of 4350 with a sierra 130gr in my Tikka 7-08 with average 5 shot groups of 0.714 in.

I also had very good groupings with the Barnes LRX and Varget powder but for some reason I can't find the exact data in my notes.

I forgot to mention that Barnes Manual #4 lists H-380 as the powder giving the best results for 140 gr tsx and ttsx bullets. I wasn't going to try and scramble to find it, so I went with the RL-15 I had in stock, which Barnes also lists as a good performer for those bullets. Of course you know every rifle is different with what bullet/powder combo they like.

Big game is where its at in the 7-08 with 120's and 140's.

Ttsx or np for me in the 7-08 for elk.