Sign in to follow this  
43F

Antelope/Tag Question

So I have a female friend who sells print and internet advertising here is Scottsdale that had a call with a company in Springerville that does hunting tours (her words not mine, I'll assume she means guided hunts). This company claims to have had 10 antelope tags open up last minute and she was wondering if I or anyone I know would be interested in these tags.

I'm under the impression that tags are not transferable. Am I correct? What do you guys think the deal is?

New Mexico. If you get info please let us know......

The guide is Pack-N-Horn Outfitters out of Springerville, AZ. I checked out their website and it looks like they guide mostly in NM. It doesn't mention anything about tag availability, but my friend explained to me this morning that these are supposed to be rancher tags that were unable to be used, Might be worth trying to call this outfitter and see if you guys can set something up for yourselves. Good Luck!

The guide is Pack-N-Horn Outfitters out of Springerville, AZ. I checked out their website and it looks like they guide mostly in NM. It doesn't mention anything about tag availability, but my friend explained to me this morning that these are supposed to be rancher tags that were unable to be used, Might be worth trying to call this outfitter and see if you guys can set something up for yourselves. Good Luck!

Those would be New Mexico landowner tags. They get a pretty penny for them. That's what happens when ranching interests take over a game and fish commission.

• Like 1

Those would be New Mexico landowner tags. They get a pretty penny for them. That's what happens when ranching interests take over a game and fish commission.

The ranchers get them in exchange for letting public hunters on their land. Win win if you ask me. The alternative would be zero access for you or I on their land. Would that be better?

• Like 2

The ranchers get them in exchange for letting public hunters on their land. Win win if you ask me. The alternative would be zero access for you or I on their land. Would that be better?

I can only speak to how the similar program works in Utah, where large swaths of private land are not as big of an issue. There, tags that would otherwise go in the unit-wide quota are assigned to landowners based on the assumption that the habitat on their land benefits the herds. Some tolken tags are issued through the CWMP (to residents only), but landowners can fetch a bigger price for their tags if they completely shut their land down to everyone except their paying customers and the few lucky enough to draw a CWMP tag...and those folks they restrict as much as possible. In Utah, at least, there is plenty of public land to hunt, but the number of tags available to the public go down in order to give tags to ranchers under the guise of habitat improvement.

New Mexico landowners had a huge part in changing the rules in NM so that it became nearly impossible for non-residents to draw tags. Why? Because then the market would be bigger for the tags they sell. The guides prefer it too. I don't know enough about New Mexico to know whether it actually increases public opportunity and access, but in Arizona at least AZGFD has been successful in obtaining access for us without selling out to large landholders.

Just my two cents....but I'm open to reeducation.

• Like 1

I can only speak to how the similar program works in Utah, where large swaths of private land are not as big of an issue. There, tags that would otherwise go in the unit-wide quota are assigned to landowners based on the assumption that the habitat on their land benefits the herds. Some tolken tags are issued through the CWMP (to residents only), but landowners can fetch a bigger price for their tags if they completely shut their land down to everyone except their paying customers and the few lucky enough to draw a CWMP tag...and those folks they restrict as much as possible. In Utah, at least, there is plenty of public land to hunt, but the number of tags available to the public go down in order to give tags to ranchers under the guise of habitat improvement.

New Mexico landowners had a huge part in changing the rules in NM so that it became nearly impossible for non-residents to draw tags. Why? Because then the market would be bigger for the tags they sell. The guides prefer it too. I don't know enough about New Mexico to know whether it actually increases public opportunity and access, but in Arizona at least AZGFD has been successful in obtaining access for us without selling out to large landholders.

Just my two cents....but I'm open to reeducation.

NM is extremely landowner friendly. That is because the ratio of private to public land is much higher in NM then UT or AZ. It's simply the way democracy works. CA is far more liberal then AZ, because its got a bunch more liberals in it then AZ does. Most states that have a high ratio of private to public have zero private land access for public hunters. NM has done an "ok" job of managing this. If an landowner gets unit wide tags for their land, they must let hunters on their land. If they get tags only good for their ranch then they don't have to let anyone on. I feel that this is a fair trade. I could be wrong but I think the resident sportsmen in NM pushed harder for the draw allocation changes then did the resident land owners. I don't blame them. If you want to hunt NM big game, move there or play by their rules. (I don't live in NM FYI, but love hunting there, not enough to give up a residency in my home state of ND though).

Pacin Horns is a fair and legit outfitter for Your info. Iknw folks that have used Him...............BOB!