syd34

7mm-08 Barnes TTSX load data

I'm loading some 140 gr Barnes TTSX for my son's Jr Cow hunt this year. I am using IMR4350 and have found some load data but haven't found a COAL to start with. Does anyone have a suggestion?

I'm loading 140 gr TTSX with RL-15 for my daughter's Savage Axis youth in 7mm-08 for her cow hunt. I can probably get you the recommended OAL for standard 7mm-08 per Barnes Manual #4, but if you are looking to customize the load to your son's rifle, you'll need to measure the seating depth of the bullet to get a good starting point 0.050" off the lands (per Barnes' recommendation). I use the Hornady OAL guage ( the modified case and the Hornady Comparator to measure off the ogive.

There is an old school way to do it with a sharpie or lighter and just putting a bullet in an unprimed, but prepped case. I've done it both ways and definitely prefer the Hornday guage. If you were in Flagstaff, I'd say come on over and we'd get it figured out in about 5 minutes!

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to stick with the IMR4350. We've been shooting Nosler Ballistic Tips with it and have had some great results (sub-minute). I wanted to use a sturdier bullet for his elk hunt, so we are trying the Barnes.

Thanks again!

If you need the load data for Barnes for that bullet and that powder, let me know. I loaned my manual to a friend, but I can get you the min and max charge for 4350. As I said earlier, Barnes recommends starting 0.050" off the lands and adjusting seating depth from there. My personal load data won't help you, but I can tell you that with RL-15 at 97% max, 0.050" off the lands was right on. Good luck!

If you haven't already purchased the 140s, then don't overlook the 110 gr ttsx. Remember that the monolithic bullets need some extra umph to expand properly. We have taken a spike and two cows with the 150gr ttsx out of a 30-06 at 350 and 300 yards. It got the job done with one shot, but expansion was not what I would hope for. Figure out where your load drops below about 2000 fps, and that should be the far end of your range. The 110gr and 140gr might come back to the same speed once you reach out there a ways, but my experience has been that this doesn't typically happen until you get past 400-450 yards or so. If you're planning on shots under 200 yards though, then the 140 should still have enough speed to open without having to hit bone.

Thanks again to all who offered suggestions.

Test fired the loads:

CCi Large Rifle Primers

46.0 Grains IMR 4350

140 Grain Barnes TTSX

C.O.L. 2.867

Photo below is Noah's first group at 100 yards:

post-672-0-00596800-1403994666_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I don't know...looks kinda sketchy! ;)

Awesome group!

Straight from the Barnes #4 manual:

COAL: Min 2.530 Max 2.800

No IMR4350 load data for the 140 TSX/MRX.

Try www.reloadersnest.com for load data. But remember, this is private party load data, so load with care.

On 6/22/2014 at 7:17 PM, syd34 said:

I'm loading some 140 gr Barnes TTSX for my son's Jr Cow hunt this year. I am using IMR4350 and have found some load data but haven't found a COAL to start with. Does anyone have a suggestion?

I just finished loading 7mm08 weatherby Vanguard with the ttsx 140 grn. I loaded with staball 6.5 @ 48 grains. .050 off the lands. Got 7/8" group. That's center to center of shots.

20211111_155618.jpg