Now should be a good time to put our some salt and mineral blocks for some desert mulies, right(because the monsoon has started? i have a 40 lb bag of granular. should i just pour in front of my cam and then drown it down into the soil? any tips? i plan on put 20lbs in front of each cam.

thanks

• Like 2

Dig a small hole, pour the salt. Cover with water and enjoy.

If you use anything other than a salt block then a good rain storm will wash the majority away.

• Like 1

thanks! do you think some cattle will find it, being in the ground and all?

thanks! do you think some cattle will find it, being in the ground and all?

Yes once cattle find it then it's over lol.

My northern spots do much better than my only southern one because the cows are there almost the whole time.

• Like 1

IMO it takes at least a year to get deer to come into your salt on a predictable pattern. If you start your salt now it will be good next season.

• Like 1

here are my 2 spots, i dug a small hole and put 20lbs of salt in it, and then i put down a small cinder block and put a small mineral lick in it. the cinder block is so that it will stay in front of the camera and wont get pushed into the next county. the cinderclocks holes are big enough for a deer to get their mouths in there. i poured roughly 3 gallons on the salt at each set. what do you guys think?

post-2353-0-07344100-1404694143_thumb.jpg

post-2353-0-28822400-1404694166_thumb.jpg

Why do you need to add water ?I have never used water, I wonder if they will hit it more .

It turns granulated salt into a hard salt block and keeps it in the ground longer. Some do it to seep in the ground but that'll happen anyway.

• Like 1

You are either a stud to pack bricks into your camera location or your cameras are too close to the road. A block will also attract more human attention to your setup, increasing the likelihood of problems. I hope your cameras don't get stolen. If they don't, I can't wait to see the picks.

• Like 3

You are either a stud to pack bricks into your camera location or your cameras are too close to the road. A block will also attract more human attention to your setup, increasing the likelihood of problems. I hope your cameras don't get stolen. If they don't, I can't wait to see the picks.

they are a ways in and on private. you have to go through some nasty washes to get to them from either side and if you are, you're trespassing. i put the salt on my frame with the block on top and walked in. i thank you for your concern with my cameras! i will be hiking 8 hours into a spot in october, and i assure you i wont be carrying salt or blocks!

I have noticed when water is applied deer/elk will hit it within 24 hours ( at least my mixture they do ). Especially when it rains. I believe it gives out a scent when water is applied, it works great if you are planning on hunting the spot to take extra water and pour on the spot when you hunt it. Will help lure them in.

• Like 1

i agree with desert bull. deer will hit a salt as soon as they find it, but takes a year, or even more for the animal to make that salt lick part of it's routine. the longer they have been established, the better they seem to get. In my opinion, animals do hit them more after the salt has totally dissolved into the ground, as opposed to standing salt. you also need to maintain them. salt licks that i have made all get probably around 200lbs of salt a year for the first couple years at least

i guess the badgers like the salt!!! i would only get him running by, but now the salt has been stopping him and interesting him....

post-2353-0-78498500-1405963772_thumb.jpg

post-2353-0-92589800-1405963775_thumb.jpg

post-2353-0-56511700-1405963779_thumb.jpg