I always drop at least 40 lbs at a time. Even at that, cattle can decimate it in a matter of days, leaving little or nothing for deer. I talked to some guys in the white mountains a few years ago who said they drop 200lbs. at a time. Their cameras are atv accessible, where as I carry it all in on my back, so not a real strong option for me.

I always drop at least 40 lbs at a time. Even at that, cattle can decimate it in a matter of days, leaving little or nothing for deer. I talked to some guys in the white mountains a few years ago who said they drop 200lbs. at a time. Their cameras are atv accessible, where as I carry it all in on my back, so not a real strong option for me.

yes sir, just put 40 on each spot.

I carried a 50lb bag plus my water, shovel, cam, and other misc. Gear came in at 65lbs. Just over 2 miles and that was one rough hike. Did you get any deer on your cams?

I carried a 50lb bag plus my water, shovel, cam, and other misc. Gear came in at 65lbs. Just over 2 miles and that was one rough hike. Did you get any deer on your cams?

If you're in a decent spot you'll definetely get pics. And at that range your cams are probably safe although last year I lost one about a mile into a wilderness area. Just never know. The same guys I mentioned before also explained to me and my buddy I was with that you have to keep that salt going for several years before it really heats up. Its all about the does. They show their fawns and then they show their fawns etc. After four or five years there will be several generations of deer who know about it.

no, i didnt, which is very odd. but i still have to check the other cam

no, i didnt, which is very odd. but i still have to check the other cam

If there was deer traffic there before then you'll just have to give it time. once they find it then they will keep coming back.

• Like 1

salt licks do not become hot spots over night. it usually takes mine a year or so before they really become active. you will always get the occasional curious deer, but it takes quite some time for the deer to make the salt lick a part of their routine. the longer they are there, the better they get. you need to keep them fresh by packing in new salt a few times a year. also, stay out of the areas as much as possible, as increased foot traffic results in decreased game traffic.

• Like 1

are you guys using water softener salt? does anyone use block salt?

i've always used water softner salt. rock salt works pretty well also. i have noticed that cattle and horses sit on salt blocks a lot more than just a salt lick. salt blocks are more awkward to haul, and they stand out like a sore thumb to other hunters. it seems to me like the deer like the salt sites better after the salt has totally leached into the ground

• Like 2

I use mineral salt. I Was afraid the blocks would stick out more

I talked to Dan diamond at the pinetop game and fish a couple weeks ago about the rule changes on baiting and the use of salt.He told me that you can only use plain salt.No mineral licks or trophy rock are allowed.Just thought I would pass on what I was told.

I find it funny that trophy rock is illegal. Its as natural as salt gets, straight from the salt mine. It used to be just sold by feed stores. We used to get it by the 1500 lb bags from the feed stores for .05-.07 cents a lb. But $$$ were seen by the hunting industry, and rights to the salt is now"Trophy Rock". Put a new sticker on it for deer hunting use and now it's illegal.

Brian

• Like 1

all ive been using is mortons salt...