I talked to Dan diamond at the pinetop game and fish a couple weeks ago about the rule changes on baiting and the use of salt.He told me that you can only use plain salt.No mineral licks or trophy rock are allowed.Just thought I would pass on what I was told.

he's wrong!

per regulations

c. Salt-based materials produced and manufactured
for the livestock industry.
salt BASED products....ie. mineral salt, mineral blocks... which are salt based.... their words not mine.
James
  • Like 1

I talked to Dan diamond at the pinetop game and fish a couple weeks ago about the rule changes on baiting and the use of salt.He told me that you can only use plain salt.No mineral licks or trophy rock are allowed.Just thought I would pass on what I was told.

he's wrong!

per regulations

c. Salt-based materials produced and manufactured

for the livestock industry.

salt BASED products....ie. mineral salt, mineral blocks... which are salt based.... their words not mine.

James

X2 the way I read it is mineral salt and licks are fine.

• Like 1

I am just telling you what I was told by Dan Diamond .You guys can call the pinetop office and talk to him yourself.Didn't mean to upset everyone.Just trying to keep everyone out of trouble with game and fish.

I am with two-windy, the definition says AND produced for the livestock industry. I think this might be another GREY area that is up to the interpretation of the officer. I tend to error on the side of caution and would not consider trophy rock produced for the livestock industry, but produced for hunters.

Trophy rock is a weird attractant in which, it is not actually manufactured. This is really a rock that they mine from the earth in Colorado. So I guess after a little research, This is not actually Manufactured, so I guess getting something in writing about this attractant would be a good thing to obtain from AZGFD to be safe.

I am with two-windy, the definition says AND produced for the livestock industry. I think this might be another GREY area that is up to the interpretation of the officer. I tend to error on the side of caution and would not consider trophy rock produced for the livestock industry, but produced for hunters.

Trophy rock is a weird attractant in which, it is not actually manufactured. This is really a rock that they mine from the earth in Colorado. So I guess after a little research, This is not actually Manufactured, so I guess getting something in writing about this attractant would be a good thing to obtain from AZGFD to be safe.

I'm not sure how they would interpret "trophy rock", I was saying Dan Diamond is wrong on saying "pure salt only"

trace mineral licks from livestock industries are perfectly legal. nothing against two windy or anyone else...... I use champions choice in block and granulated form. I've also used salt for pools, salt for water softeners, table salt, and iodized salt.

not sure how many mines Trophy Rock has, but the story I red was from Redmond, Utah.

with a minimum of 91% salt and a max of 96% salt. reading the rest of the ingredients it looks a lot like trace mineral salt from the feed store.

I'm thinking the key word is "manufactured"

James

This has turned into a good topic debate on and off forum sites in AZ. I take it as you either have to use pure salt OR mineral products made FOR lifestock, not made for attracting wild game. One of the guiding outfits in northern AZ claims that those rules only apply if you are actively "hunting" over it, that just taking trail cam photos isn't subject to this rule because you aren't "taking" game, so they use other attractants, but only for spots they aren't hunting haha.

You are correct Sneaker. Think about it you get bears coming into your salt so as long as you do not shoot them you are fine. You can bait anything but harvesting over the correct bait or no bait is the key.

• Like 1