Sign in to follow this  
Xnt

Shopping for a meat cooler

Hey guys,

I have a 70 quart cooler and that's been fine for quartered, deboned deer, but I am looking for a good system for an elk and then some deer hunting later this year. I like to throw a couple of bags of chipped ice in and put a block of ice in to keep the chipped ice from melting. Then when I get a deer, toss out the block ice and layer the meat between rows of chipped ice.

Costco.com has a 120 quart heavy duty Igloo cooler for $350, shipped, but there is also tax. OTOH Costco also carries a more cheaply made Igloo in the warehouse that is 165 quarts for only $100+tax. I think between my 70 qt and a 165 I should be able to stuff an elk into the two, but wondering if I want to take just the 165 qt out of state, could I fit 2-3 deer (not our little Coues deer) in it if they're deboned and quartered?

I see reviews of the Cabelas Alaskan Guide heavy duty 150 quart cooler ($520) that it often goes on sale, but I'm wondering how often that is and if any of you have ever seen what it winds up going for.

any other comments are welcome. Thanks.

When I shot my bison I 6th him, tarp on bottom, a layer of ice, the quarters (6th's) on top of that, another layer of ice, the hide and head on top, more ice, another type, then all my gear. 10 hour drive. Original ice cost 50 bucks, stopped once for good measure, 30 bucks. No spoiled meat. Had I of had 3-4 good chests I woulda used then but hide is one heck of an insulator!! Another member mentioned awhile back ago about making one out of plywood and spray foam. I priced it out and it's reasonable for a one or two time use.

Call the guys @ Canyon Cooler. Local to Flag & I am very happy with their coolers. Less $$ than a Yeti & performs the same. Just another option to the Igloo's.

Good luck on your hunts!!

• Like 2

There are a couple Yeti's on Phoenix Craigslist where you might be able to get a good deal. Unless you are going to be away from civilization for a week in the desert just go with the 165qt Igloo. It's bigger and considering the price difference ice is cheap. ....my 2 cents

I use a 120 qt from Costco, freeze a case of 16 oz water bottles for ice so your meat isn't soaking in melt water, it with fit a cow if I cut above the knee joint on the hind qtrs, have to bone out an elk, put down a layer of water bottles and stick the qtrs in, then tuck bottles wherever they will fit. I also only use it for meat not as extra storage for camp goods, that way the lid is never opened except to fill it with meat. Make sure you leave it on the tailgate to load. Use pillow cases for meat bags.

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. Whichever route you go with stick with the frozen water jugs or bottles or whatever. You don't want your meat getting wet (I know it goes against what all us men have believed in our entire lives) or sitting in melted water. It needs be be dry. The dry layer of meat on the outside keeps the meat from spoiling.

• Like 1

There are a couple Yeti's on Phoenix Craigslist where you might be able to get a good deal. Unless you are going to be away from civilization for a week in the desert just go with the 165qt Igloo. It's bigger and considering the price difference ice is cheap. ....my 2 cents

I have decided on the 165 quart basic cooler from Costco for $100. Thank you all for your input. Further discussion is welcome.

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

I believe this is true for some things, like footwear or optics, but it is not necessarily the case for other industries. I'm sure the heavy duty Yeti, Canyons, etc are nicer and will last longer, but the economics just don't pan out for me. Some Amazon reviews have people saying that they don't necessarily hold ice much longer than the cheap coolers. I think a consistent factor is that the heavy duty coolers need to come out of the garage for a few days and sit in the air conditioned house, then they need to be pre chilled for at least a day or so with some blocks of ice for maybe a day or so. Otherwise, the heavy insulation will work against you when you drop your ice in there that you take to the field.

If I could have bought a 150+ quart cooler for $250-300 out the door, I would have done it. $500+ for an insulated piece of plastic is insane. I could afford it, but choose not to. I've had a couple coolers last on camping trips and what not for nearly a decade. If I have to buy a $100 cooler every ten years that's just better home economics IMHO.

Whichever route you go with stick with the frozen water jugs or bottles or whatever. You don't want your meat getting wet (I know it goes against what all us men have believed in our entire lives) or sitting in melted water. It needs be be dry. The dry layer of meat on the outside keeps the meat from spoiling.

I like the water jugs for reducing excess melting, but I am also taking chipped ice. I like to layer meat with rows of chipped ice in-between. Cold and dry would be ideal, but is not practical for storage in the field and transport home. Cold and wet is far better than warm and dry IMHO. I don't like quarters or meat chunks touching in the cooler.

In deed the costco coolers will work. I have 3 of those big coolers from Costco and every one of them cracked on the bottom inside within a couple of years. Now when I put meat in them the bloody water soaks into the insulation in the bottom of the cooler and is tough to clean out. I just soak them in bleach water for a couple of days and make sure the lid stays open for several after to completely dry. I also have a yeti and it does hold ice longer and will actually freeze sodas and drinks the first day it's packed. That being said I agree with you as far as getting a couple of those vs having to fork up the $ for two yetis. You can buy a whole lot of the $100 coolers.

That's good Info, thanks.

How did you manage to crack the bottom of the igloo? Big block of ice??

Not sure. Just cheap plastic and heavy loads is my guess. They all cracked exactly the same way. Just goes right back to the you get what you pay for.

If you get the cheaper cooler, just go ahead and save your self the hassle and take off the plastic hinges and replace with metal.

Home Depot, Lowes , Walmart, they are not special hinges. If you can't find any that the holes match up just drill new new ones and plug the original holes with epoxy.

Those plastic hinges last about 1 of 2 trips before they start cracking.