I grew up in southern New Mexico, my dad was a farmer/rancher trying to raise grain and cattle on land that was pretty tough.

It was a great area for rattle snakes and as a result at a young age I developed a phobia for snakes in general. Cole and I went out to take care of chickens this afternoon and this brought back a flashback of memories of finding rattlesnakes as a kid.

post-2034-0-50024100-1405295567_thumb.jpg

Course this is just a bull snake and a nice sized one. What is hard to see in this picture is the swallow nest on the light fixture above which currently has chicks in it.

• Like 2

I feel your pain brother, I despise snakes with a passion!!! They all creep me out but I only kill the rattling version, the rest live.. I was working in the well house this past winter on my hands and knees fixing a pipe.up and down a few times, the last up found me eye to eye with two bull snakes wrapped around the pipe tryin to warm up! Nightmare for a week haha!

If that snake can make it to the antlers hanging there, it might just get the meal it's looking for.

I have rattlesnake-o-phobia also. Too many close calls over the years

Wow! He make actually make it! I don't love snakes (though I have to say I've known a few in my life, two legged ones), but I don't hate them either. Spiders, on the other hand, creep me out... eight legs!

I do the same. Exept i will relocate them miles away from my house. The rattlers are a one strike you are out. Can risk my kids or dogs getting into them.

Did you let him finish his mission first and get a free nature show? Would have been cool watching him try to make it.

Where at in NM? My grandparents ranched 16 miles north of Gage, NM.

95 miles and a lot of jackrabbits apart.

95 miles and a lot of jackrabbits apart.

That is for sure....I remember passing by the Gage exit on our way to El Paso taking our pigs to the Southwest International Livestock Show.....one of the first places I remember my dad ever paying money for a motel and first time ever watching Professional wrestling on TV....we didn't get very good TV in Cotton City... :rolleyes:

There was a Bowlins trading post on the north side, complete with a rattlesnake pit. Eventually they built a big old stucco Bowlins Tepee on the south side of the hiway with a DQ!

Didn't know they had TV's in New Mexico?................BOB!