Sign in to follow this  
cohofishing

Satellite phone

I know this topic has been talked about before but I thought I would start fresh.

I am planning to rent a satellite phone for my Colorado backpack mule deer hunt. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with one and what company would you recommend for a rental? I used one on my boat in Alaska but that was years ago and not a mobile.

Been looking at a SPOT device but I would rather not have to commit to a year long service.

Any advice?

Brent

I can't help with a satellite phone, but another option is the Delorme Inreach. It's a two-way satellite communicator. We used them everyday this summer for my owl surveys since we work off-trail at night in remote areas. You can set it to send whoever you want a map with your location every ten minutes. And you can send and receive email and texts. It has trouble in some steep-walled canyons, but generally worked very well for us. You can google it to see about it. The nice thing is they have a plan where you can change the level of service each month so you don't have to commit to a year long plan. So you can upgrade the plan to include lots of texts/emails during your hunt and then downgrade or even stop service the next month.

• Like 2

Thanks Amanda. I will look into it. Maybe I can let everyone know how it works in the mountains of Colorado. Is it pretty lightweight? How about battery life?

Brent

great battery life! It is rechargeable by USB cable. And lightweight. Larger than spot unit, but you can do more with it. They came out with a new model recently that has the ability to have GPS waypoints in it too.

I think that post was for me. We both work for the Union Pacific railroad and a big part of our lives is balancing our hunts with our job. We never know when we are going to work. Eric watches the board for me and lets me know what is going on.

I think he was asking if you can look at a website

Thanks again

Brent

• Like 1

here is a screen shot from the tracking map from a backpack trip a couple days ago. It was set to put a waypoint every 10 mins. You can share the map with as many people as you like and they can all watch your progress. People can view it as a topo map or as aerial photo. And you can send "I'm OK' messages as well as use the SOS button to get emergency medical care.

This is the map your friends/family will see when you share your trip with them. they can click on each dot and get the date and time you were there so they can track your progress.

post-1-0-54938500-1405789756_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That is cool. Can it replace the gps that I normally carry? Can you create waypoints? Does it have viewable topo maps?

Sorry about all the questions.

I don't have the newest version with built in GPS.....you would have to ask Delorme those questions. Their website describes the different models and their capabilities.

The newest model looks great thanks for the question and info. I've been waiting for one with reasonable terms. A little pricy initially but looks to be everything you would need.

With one of these, anyone could reach a bear panic hotline operator, virtually from anywhere.

The operator would be me talking Mike down off of a ledge