Critter

19A Thieves

I went a LONG time before my first camera was stolen and since that happened it seems every one I hang gets stolen so I pretty much quit using them. Last year I had a $140 camera (most I had spent on one) stolen in 6 days and when I returned to check it there was a tree stand hanging instead of my camera.

I went a LONG time before my first camera was stolen and since that happened it seems every one I hang gets stolen so I pretty much quit using them. Last year I had a $140 camera (most I had spent on one) stolen in 6 days and when I returned to check it there was a tree stand hanging instead of my camera.

sounds like you could have offset the price of the camera, with a new treestand. i had someone steal my sd card, then build a treestand out of wood over the salt. needless to say, the makeshift treestand came out of the tree in a lot of pieces

• Like 4

For all those who want to use trail cams, you should not complain when they go missing. This does not mean I think it is right that another person MAY have taken it, but the reality is you do not know. Forest service removes a lot of cams and blinds from our forests. I am sure some are unsavory outdoors men, and I am sure some are good old run of the mill hikers and people who are against hunting. Sad Part is you rarely know who and which it may be and to come crying on a forum for you taking a gamble with your $$$ is ridiculous. We have seen post after post for years and you know the risks. As far as legality when it comes to use of cams and tree stands for that matter, you may want to read the Rules/laws of our Public National Forests. YOU may want to look at what they define as abandoned as well as attachments to living trees... pretty much in every public forest in this state running a lag bolt( as in the picture of the empty box) on a living tree is illegal, as it cutting live limbs to make sure you are getting clear shots or so you can hang a stand properly. It sucks that it happens, but sucks that people who know the risks and still do it come crying on a forum that pretty much only caters to one possible culprit and that is Fellow Hunters.. You roll the dice be prepared for a bad roll.

• Like 1

I would go back to where your camera was stolen and see who is there on opening day of season, you might find them hunting your spot

Unless your on private property it's not your spot, public land belongs to all

For all those who want to use trail cams, you should not complain when they go missing. This does not mean I think it is right that another person MAY have taken it, but the reality is you do not know. Forest service removes a lot of cams and blinds from our forests. I am sure some are unsavory outdoors men, and I am sure some are good old run of the mill hikers and people who are against hunting. Sad Part is you rarely know who and which it may be and to come crying on a forum for you taking a gamble with your $$$ is ridiculous. We have seen post after post for years and you know the risks. As far as legality when it comes to use of cams and tree stands for that matter, you may want to read the Rules/laws of our Public National Forests. YOU may want to look at what they define as abandoned as well as attachments to living trees... pretty much in every public forest in this state running a lag bolt( as in the picture of the empty box) on a living tree is illegal, as it cutting live limbs to make sure you are getting clear shots or so you can hang a stand properly. It sucks that it happens, but sucks that people who know the risks and still do it come crying on a forum that pretty much only caters to one possible culprit and that is Fellow Hunters.. You roll the dice be prepared for a bad roll.

Nowhere in my orig post was I "crying" about my cams being stolen - Lol. I specifically stated I really don't care much and that I'll just go buy new ones and I understand it is a risk yadayadayada. And also that I feel more sorry for the guy that stole them. My intent was to show what my camera looks like (with a broken d-hole on side) and maybe someone will come across it and notify me in which case I'll go serve some justice. My other intent is to warn others that maybe hang cams in 19A to watch out. I did not have my cam lag bolted to a tree, it was strapped but I understand you're referring to a pic someone else posted in their reply. We all understand it is a risk but dang this is a discussion forum can't a guy vent anyway if he wants? I don't get too angry with these thieves... life's too short for that and in the end a stupid trail cam is insignificant. As I said he'll face his judgement day. I don't care about my camera but sure wish I could've seen the pics:) Probably a bearnanza on ther!

• Like 1

I would go back to where your camera was stolen and see who is there on opening day of season, you might find them hunting your spot

Unless your on private property it's not your spot, public land belongs to all

I don't hunt that spot and even if I went in there and found a guy sitting that trick tank... I'd still have to prove he stole my camera which how do you do that unless he's holding it as I walk in. Anyway I have better places to be on opening day.

Nowhere in my orig post was I "crying" about my cams being stolen - Lol. I specifically stated I really don't care much and that I'll just go buy new ones and I understand it is a risk yadayadayada. And also that I feel more sorry for the guy that stole them. My intent was to show what my camera looks like (with a broken d-hole on side) and maybe someone will come across it and notify me in which case I'll go serve some justice. My other intent is to warn others that maybe hang cams in 19A to watch out. I did not have my cam lag bolted to a tree, it was strapped but I understand you're referring to a pic someone else posted in their reply. We all understand it is a risk but dang this is a discussion forum can't a guy vent anyway if he wants? I don't get too angry with these thieves... life's too short for that and in the end a stupid trail cam is insignificant. As I said he'll face his judgement day. I don't care about my camera but sure wish I could've seen the pics:) Probably a bearnanza on ther!

Critter

My apologies, the post was not intended for you to feel I was calling you out, nor really calling you a whiner ... I meant to speak in general at how these threads tend to point more at the hunting audience when there are far more possible culprits out there. That action in turn puts hunter versus hunter and IMO that gets old and is one of the reasons I have not really done much on this site in the last couple years. I do not use trail cams but have no issue with them being used... my only caveat to that is when Bait is used in the process ( not going to say anymore as it is a can of worms far to often opened here). That being said, I nor any of the hunters I associate with would go as far as even touching another persons trail cam. I honestly believe the Majority of our fellow hunters are the same way and are respectful of others property. I will never support a persons argument that an item such as that is always legal and not considered abandoned according to the Rules of the National Forest Service. Many here like bashing Hunters that do not agree with some on what they consider legal, and I can tell you the majority of cams and stands I have come across in the field Have broken the law/rules on the means of attachment as well as cutting of live limbs. This type of behavior too, is a way hunters as a whole get a black eye, by people doing something they say is legal but not really sticking to all the rules. There is probably not a unit in this state that has not had a camera thief thread shared on this forum. So, once again the news of leaving DOLLAR BILLS hanging for weeks at a time in public forests and finding them gone is not anything new. I am sorry it happened to you and would not want it happen to anyone, but I can not say that it shouldn't happen, because it has and it does and will continue as long as people leave money sitting unattended in the forests.

• Like 1

I think that a Trail Cam manufacturer that made an embedded tracking and software package that made the camera useless if tampered with could make a killing ...

Str8shot I'm with ya. I think these thieves are mostly punks out riding around. I would like to believe most of the cams are not stolen by true hunters.

Couesfanatic that is a sweet gadget. I want one. You'd have to somehow conceal it within the camera so the thief doesn't remove it. Would be nice to buy a trail cam integrated with it already... now there's an idea. I'd pay the extra $80 for a camera that had one in it no questions asked. I see a partnership between spot trace and tcam manufacturers in the making....

Reconyx, is already leading the way with trail cam security. They have put a option in the cameras that allows you to enter a security code into the camera. Once you put the security code into the camera, it is useless to anyone who takes it. The only way to reset the security code is to send it back to the factory. The factory will only reset your code if you have proof of purchase, registered it when you bought it, and pass a 60 day waiting period.

That "Spot trace" thing sounds like a great idea, but the problem is trail cams don't have a 1"x2"x2.5" area within the camera that this would fit "secretly" into... not that I've ever seen anyway.

If you're worried about an expensive camera being stolen there are a few other things out there you can do. It may take a bit of work, but what's that camera worth to you? Also, not sure how you would address those that simply remove the SD card... but here are a few ideas...

1) Camo the camera... not just with a bit of paint, but hide it, or at least try to, and do it well. I've done it a few times, takes a bit of work, but mine have never been found by others. BTW, I've "put up" cameras on the ground pointed up just a bit and they work great. People generally don't look for things hidden at ground level, and it's easy to hide them within an old log or between a few large rocks and some foliage.

2) Put the camera up out of reach, perhaps 10' or more off the ground. Keep a few tree steps in the area so you can retrieve it when you visit it, Not the handiest, but keeps honest people honest even if they do see it.

3) Put up another camera pointed at your main trailcam. At least you might get a photo of the thief. That camera should be hidden at a minimum, certainly hard to get to.

4) Put this note in your camera... "To the person who just stole this camera. Rest assured that I have other cameras hidden in this area, along the trail you walked in on and will even have photos of you stealing this camera. If you don't put it back now remember one thing, I don't mind going back to prison."

5) ... I'm sure there's more ideas, perhaps much better then the ones above.

• Like 2

moultrie has had the security code thing for a long time.

Some of the bigger cams like the moultrie have dead space inside that this could fit, but would require disassembly of the unit. I haven't taken apart a covert, but I don't imagine there is room.