Devil Diver Down

12A West, here we come!

I seriously thought my dad was going to start crying this evening when I confirmed we drew Kaibab tags - 12A west, early rifle hunt (Oct24-Nov2). He's north of 70 and knees are shot to heck and back (3 replacements). He never thought he'd make it back up there for a hunt - so glad I talked him into going for it this year. It's been more than 30 years since we hunted the Kaibab - I was barely a teenager and got buck fever so bad on a tall and wide 4x4 that I didn't stop shaking until I was in my twenties. My dad joked that he might still have some maps of the area but they might say "Arizona Territory" on them.

I'd sure like to tag a nice buck myself but I'm really hoping to put him on a bomber buck this time out. My real expectations of this hunt: a great and memorable time. Suggestions on best time to scout that unit?

• Like 5

Awesome, congrats and good luck to the both of you.

lol my dad got mad at me that he pulled 12a west early cuz its the same time as my hunt. i put him in 12b west late, first but somehow he got 12 a west tag #86. im put him in for that 2nd, makes no sense. "burned my points" hes says. i was like dad, get the f out with that garbage. anyways, good luck. im praying for snow

Congrats and good luck!! I especially hope that your dad scores BIG!!!

lol my dad got mad at me that he pulled 12a west early cuz its the same time as my hunt. i put him in 12b west late, first but somehow he got 12 a west tag #86. im put him in for that 2nd, makes no sense. "burned my points" hes says. i was like dad, get the f out with that garbage. anyways, good luck. im praying for snow

Tag #86 would have come out of the bonus pass. It means he had enough points for a 20% tag for his second choice, but not his first. The draw never even considered him for the 12b tag because he more than enough points for the 12a west tag. If he's irritated by that, then you probably don't want to tell him.

• Like 1

I have tag number 115. Drew with two points. Not sure how that works just mustve had a great low random number.

Yep. The first non-bonus tag was tag 101. Did you have any of the harder hunts as a first choice?

I'm super happy for you and your dad! My 16 year old son and I will be there for his first Mule Deer hunt at the same time as well. We are both very excited. It will be a great adventure for you and your dad I am sure, and I hope for my son and I as well. Good luck!

• Like 2

Tag #86 would have come out of the bonus pass. It means he had enough points for a 20% tag for his second choice, but not his first. The draw never even considered him for the 12b tag because he more than enough points for the 12a west tag. If he's irritated by that, then you probably don't want to tell him.

you lost me. but were going to 3c for my hunt, so one less guy on the 12aw hunt.

Ugly I did not apply for the late hunt as i felt i did not have enough points. I drew an archery 3c tag last year so i thought what the heck i will apply north of the river and then 32 for a whitetail tag. I live in the 3c area but i like to travel the state and hunt different places. I havnt been on the Bab for several years and gave it a shot. My daughter was the last to hunt it in 2008 and she killed a great buck though not as big as my sons 3c buck from two years ago.

So with me drawing out at tag 115 would i have had a chance at the late hunt there?

how did my dad get 12b with 4points a few years ago then? I also had a friends dad get it with 2? I don't understand the draw at all.

How many times do I have to tell you Dick? 20% if the tags go to the guys with the most points and the other 80% Is just luck of the draw. Let me break that down for you. So let's say there's 100 tags, 20 go to the highest point people in the bonus round and the other 80 is just $hit house luck.

• Like 1

If You go to the game and fish homepage and in the search box enter " Bonus point process" you will come to a page with "actual bonus point results" It will show you from each genus and each hunt how many tags were issued for each # of bunus points. The results from the Elk and Antelope 2014 are out. They came out in April. The Deer and sheep will be out in a few months. It is amazing that more late Kaibab tags are drawn with 0-5 bonus pts than 13 or 14 pts. It is very intresting. You can check every hunt # and it will break down the tags to individual bonus pts. It took me 17 pts to draw an early rifle bull tag and then I drew another one 2 years later with 4. Luck of the draw.

post-10954-0-86893700-1406318166_thumb.jpg